A message from Mike

OLDUDE

Dorsetmike said:
Hi Guys, can we give some thought to similar threads to the current big band one to cover other areas of jazz, e.g. trad jazz, (New Orleans, Dixieland, Chicago and maybe blues) small groups (duos up to septets?) various shades of modern jazz ( bebop, west coast etc).

Consider also if we should run threads for pianists/keyboards, Reeds (sax & clarinets or separate?) Brass as a group (or trombones, trumpeters, etc separate?) strings grouped (or separate guitar, banjo, violin, bass, harp etc?) percussion.

Anybody want to volunteer to head up one or more groups/instruments?
Sorry Mike but I have meant to respond to your idea for some time.
So better late than never - here we go.

OLDUDE

Mike,
The mind boggles at the extent of your suggestion.
With a bit of luck it could develop into a multitude of threads
each with its own collection of posters.
So what I'll do is steal the trombone aspect before teddy gets a chance at it.

teddy

Duckmeister
Didi you know it is hug a teddy week? Actually every week is hug a teddy week. :):grin:

teddy (hugged)

Dorsetmike

There are some very interesting items on Youtube if you search on "Early Jazz Music", including some quite long films or TV programmes tracing the history of jazz.

OLDUDE

I'll check that out Mike.
I hope others will pick up on what is potentially a terrific series of new threads.

OLDUDE

Right Mike, i've followed through on your suggestion about Jazz films on Youtube
and have been sitting overwhelmed by a film (DVD) lasting about 1hr 50min on the early history of Jazz.
(Note. Go to Youtube- enter Early Jazz - Look for "All that Jazz. From New Orleans to New York").
Its totally fascinating.
(Incidentally I had to close it down after 40min yesterday and didn't know how to pick it up where left -
fortunately I sussed this out.
Probably everyone except me knew how to do this already so I wont give details unless requested.)