• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Can you have too much Bach?

NEB

The pdf for the work is here under Section VII ... It's with the Eight Little P & F's ... with the words "spurious - possibly by J.T. Krebs. I always attribute these to Bach in my programs.

ps: that site is PD, btw :grin:

Is it? not that I can see... Maybe I'm just being thick or something but I've never seen it here or anywhere else...

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi NEB,

My bad ... :nut: I got the numbers transposed ... :banghead:

You're right - I can't find the score for BWV 577 presently, but I'll keep looking ... I'm sure it was on that IMSLP site that is temporarily offline.

Last edited:

NEB

Actually Krummhorn, I don't recall ever seeing it on there either. It occured to me while we were talking about Virgil Fox and the gigue fugue video in another thread that I'd never seen it and then I started looking for the PDF, and I can not find a PDF anywhere for it. Ok I have a printed copy somewhere from years ago and never even look at it, but that's another story...:confused:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
concerning BWV 577:

Walcha - not recorded on his complete set (German)
Fagius - not recorded on his complete set (Swedish)
Vad - is recorded on his complete set (Danish)
Ritchie - is recorded on his complete set (American)

I can only conclude that Walcha and Fagius prefer to exclude the spurious works.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hmmm --- I wonder if this bit of musico/historical *revisioning* ergo deletion, by Messrs. Walcha and Fagius really serves the interests of scholarship? I feel that a warning flag must be raised here since no qualified research sources have been cited. For me, that is like a Bull in a China Shop.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Hmmm --- I wonder if this bit of musico/historical *revisioning* ergo deletion, by Messrs. Walcha and Fagius really serves the interests of scholarship? I feel that a warning flag must be raised here since no qualified research sources have been cited. For me, that is like a Bull in a China Shop.

To the contrary, the Walch CD set comes with references to spurious works, not sure about the Vad, however ... I'll have to check that one.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Contratrombone64,

The booklet that comes with the Walcha recordings in my possession doesn't mention anything about the spurious works. Must be a misprint in my edition.
Oh well...Sigh :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

methodistgirl

Guess what! I finally found a Bach book that was a beginner's book.
Just what I was looking for! And guess where! Paul one of the musicians
at the church had it on his shelf of at least ten Bach organ books. I just
happen to find one for beginners learning toccatas,fugues, and preludes.
I guess you know by now that I'm a big sucker for Bach's music and
Beethoven's. Sometimes you will catch me playing Moonlight Sonata
on the pipe organ. I think it sounds pretty neat like that. I know of
no one else who plays it on the pipe organ.
judy tooley:grin:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Judy, if you go to www.cdsheetmusic.com you'll find EVERY note Bach wrote in PDF format, not expensive. So, the organ works are all there ... the Bach comes in two sets 1) has the lot and 2) has just the organ music. I own the one with the lot. Couldn't live without it.

No - I don't work for cd sheet music!

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi CT ...

Those are good sources ... indeed I have two of their CD's as well, the Baroque Organ Works and the French Romantic Organ collections. Good stuff for sure. I wasn't aware of the Bach one - I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for the link reminder :clap:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
krummhorn ... you're very welcome my dear. I too, own the French Organ one ... it's a little dissapointing from the Widor point of view, as the versions are not like my recordings ... such is the world of public domain music.

acc

I too, own the French Organ one ... it's a little dissapointing from the Widor point of view, as the versions are not like my recordings ... such is the world of public domain music.

That's because Widor had his works edited several times during his life: at least four editions for Symphonies 1–4, the first in 1872 and the last in 1929!

Most recording artists use the edition that is still available from Leduc today, i.e. the 1929 edition, but cdsheetmusic have used a much earlier edition (1887 I think).

If you're really serious about getting into Widor scores, you should go for this edition. It's not cheap, but those bucks will be well spent.

MartinH

hans fagius

....I strongly favour the recording made by the Swede Hans Fagius who is an international concert organist and professor at the Royal Conservatory in Copenhagen, and who has performed 17 of 18 concerts in Sweden and Denmark this year featuring all of Bachs organ works, culminating next week with a perfomance of Dritter Teil der Klavierübung. I have attended several of the concerts, each of them breathtaking!
Yes, Tom - Hans Fagius really is the best! I get all inspirations for my bach-playing from him (his cds -nowadays they're quit cheap - I bought them for full priece - each for each, but I don't regret this at all). And the booklets are quite informative also, recording technique very good (although those were particularly made in the beginnings of digital recording-age).
But the most important: his playing (and the instruments) is really astonishing, clear, musically...
That's HIP in the best sense.

My absolute favorite..

(this is my first post: hello from germany and sorry for my english ;))

PraeludiumUndFuge

The eight Little Preludes And Fugues are almost certainly by Krebs or some other student of Bach's. The very clear Vivaldi-like sequential writing and overall simplicity I've come to recognize as attributes of J.T. Krebs' style.
It is very possible that BWV577 was written by one of Bach's students. Krebs (father or son) are usually the first to point to in these spurious works.
There are other organ works too, not considered spurious, which may point to a different composer than Bach. I surely have my doubts about some of them.

Westhill

Bach'd Out

Curious, but I feel I am Bach'd out. I have got to the point where there are to many notes - I like some of the 2 part keyboard works and the solo cello suites- but most of the organ works I just get incredibly tired in the ear by about the 4th bar.
Used to like the stuff but I must have over dosed.

I have a powdered wig for sale,
W

NEB

I'm getting that way as well Westhill. It goes in waves. I'm going to give Bach a rest in the next season in favour of moderately light hearted more contemporary/current exponents...

I think congregations get tired of hearing Bach as well. They don't tend to notice that it is x prelude and fugue or y fantasia or z chorale prelude and so forth, they just hear more in exactly the same style, and they get weary of it too imo. Earlier in this season I was looking at just how much Bach I was playing (in another thread) and frankly it is way too much for the musical diet to be in any way considered balanced.

That said, there are certain pieces that just 'fit' the year such as - topical - Da Jesus an dem Kreuze stund - which I play every year before the main Good Friday service.

JONESEY

I haven't had too much Bach yet, but I'm careful to only play a piece or two every now and again. I find that when new pieces are dropped in, people take far more notice of what you're playing.

I do envy you guys who have Choirs etc to accompany - the Church I play for is very small and doesn't have a Choir, or any set music for Easter etc.
I also don't get enough services to play for, but hopefully that will come in time.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Those are good points, NEB ...

My congregation lives for Bach ... it's about the only music they actually listen to during the preludes. When Bach is used for a postlude, about 30 people (and the choir) remain to listen to the entire piece ... no other composer gets that kind of treatment usually.