Greetings from Onekama

arkough

Onekama is a small village in lower northwest Michigan. A beautiful place where I have chosen to live. On one side, a moderate sized lake reflecting pines and leafed trees, and on the other, the freshwater ocean that is Lake Michigan.
Perhaps the quiet of February has produced the perfect foil for the instrument that I have never before sought.
Pipedreams on public radio, then a download from Amazon of "Glorious Pipes".
Recordings of such an instrument would, I thought, perfectly tax and illustrate the capabilities of new speakers for my modest sound system. What I heard lifted me breathless to the Lake Michigan shore, standing arched like a drawn bow, face skyward splattered and shocked in pulsating colors of the Northern Lights. Only that awesome moment compares with the enormous sound the speakers can only suggest.
Who ever imagined that such a thing could be built? How did they assemble it? Who dared play it? Does anyone today write music for pipe organ?
These questions led me to this site and to know of Frederik Magle.
I am the newly unfurled Monarch. The pipe organ is my nectar. As it seems unlikely that I will soon travel to Europe and see and hear these original monsters, I am eager to learn of websites or other sources of information (and good photographs) of pipe organs.
This is truly stunning. I wait in gratitude for your clues.

Five minutes later: Wow! I have found the gallery on this site. Terrific!

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:wave: Hello arkough :wave:

Great to have you become a member of MIMF.
Another pipe organ nut, eh? You've come to the right place to discuss pipe organs and music written for the organ.

No doubt you have seen this (click here) thread of Frederik Magle's music?

rojo

(Ret)
Hi there arkough!

Welcome! Hope you have a great time perusing and posting at MIMF. :)

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Arkough,

Welcome aboard the Starship MIMF where everyone is a star. Please do make yourself feel right at home.

Cheers :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Corno Dolce :):):)

C5Says

By the sound of it, I thought Onekama is part of Japan. :)

Welcome to this world, arkough! ;)

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
arkough :grin:

Welcome to this ship the MIMF. Realy nice introduction from Michigan. You´ll do well here, great to have you among us, looking forward to read your posts.

Muza

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It is great to have you join us - im hope you enjoy your time here ;)

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Welcome to Magle International Music Forums, arkough! :tiphat:

Thanks for your vivid description of Onekama, sound like a very beautiful place! I'm glad you have discovered the pipe organ, and then found us! :) I hope you will have a great time here.

Best regards,
Frederik