Learning a foreign language

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
i've used "chung nan cheegee masayo" to excellent effect with some local Koreans, who then look mortified, especially considering they've probably been quite oblivious of me knowing any Korean, and then realising that I might very well be fluent ... helps if you use an evilish stare when delivering the phrase.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
There being some wild gaps in my education of foreign languages, what, pray tell, does the phrase CT64 stated above, chung nan cheegee masayo translate to in English? :grin:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
ahah ... senior moment:eyesight failiure ... if only I had read the post 3 above my query the answer was there ... Doh!! :nut:

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
My couisn tried to teach me basics fo Chinese. Here's what I got from him:
'wo hui shuo zhong wen' which translated to English sounds like this - I can speak Chinese. I've even learn how to write it:grin:. It took me a long time... And second one 'ni hao wo jiao Mat' which means Hello, my name is Mat.:)

But maybe it's time to learn Danish? Hey Intet, next time we meet maybe we'll talk in your native language:grin::p:grin:?

Mat - the next time we meet? :grin::grin::grin::grin: When was the first, except for here in the MIMF?

But you´re always welcome, and your humble Danish friend will do whatever you wish for. But honestly Danish is not one of the easier languages to achieve. The Prince of Denmark, Henri de Monpassant (from France) - married to our Queen Margrethe II - has been in Denmark for more than 35 years, and he still talks Danish like an marsian. The danish pronounciation by Prince Henri (the "H" is not pronounced in french) is so wrong that numerous standup comedians have him and his Danish language on their repertoire.

They have our Queen Margrethe II on their repertoire too, not for her Danish language though, but because she is a heavy smoker of cigarettes :rolleyes::rolleyes:. She carries them on the front of any of her hats, like the US army soldiers on their helmets from the "good old days" in Vietnam.

But even so Prince Henri (pronounced Enri) writes books on french red wine and food from France from his own castle in France, called Castle Geiss. One of his huge problems being french and a male/Macho has always been that he is not the prime/first guy, but only the third. According to old Danish traditions, The Queen is number 1, then on second place Crown prince Frederik, the oldest of two sons (not Magle though - as far as we know) and then only in the third place comes Prince Henri. He made a fuss about this some 10 years ago that it was not proper for a male according to traditions in France to be set back like this. Some one suggested then, it was his own fault, since the danes could hartly understand his Danish language.

IMHO he is a wimp equals chicken :grin::grin::grin::grin:.

Anything you need from me Mat, and you shall have it, except my CD collection in Jazz :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Mat - the next time we meet? :grin::grin::grin::grin: When was the first, except for here in the MIMF?

You're right, Intet. The first time was in the MIMF. But who knows when and where is going to be the next time:grin::grin::rolleyes:?

Anything you need from me Mat, and you shall have it, except my CD collection in Jazz :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Oh my, this is one tempting proposition:):). And the jazz - I'm sure I'd find something interesing in this collection of yours:grin:. I bet you have recordings of Jarrett, Hancock, Jobim, Peterson and many many others:)

intet_at_tabe

Mat, my polish friend and highly esteemed musician on various instruments.

I just discovered we both wear the same title on this ship - Captain of Water Music :grin::grin::grin::grin:. At your convienience Captain, First rank.

intet_at_tabe

intet - your avatar (what does that word mean??) is beautiful, is it a Danish sunset?

CT64 - No, it´s not a danish sunset as far as I know being a dane. You will notice that the sun disappears behind some mountains in the horizon. We don´t have mountains in Denmark. I simply found the picture on the net.

This image I chose, suited my wildest dreams of a sunset somewhere on some unknown heavenly islands in the Pacific, like Mr. Christian long before me!!

Byw. The word "avatar" is defined as "inkarnation". If you´re not satified with this definition, please try to Google it. You simply enter <define avatar>. Someone from the Pacific educated me on this.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi CT64,

Hate to burst your bubble, pal. "Inkarnation" is very much so a word - in Swedish and it means incarnation.

Cheers,

CD :):):):)

Corno Dolce

Dearest CT64,

Awww, come along now - it was all in the spirit of good fun :D:D:D

Until Sir Frederik decides otherwise, English shall remain the "Lingua Franca" of this Forum.

Humbly yours,

CD :):):):)

intet_at_tabe

CT64

Sorry my friend from down yonder, I thought you read and talked Danish. Okay, I apologize for pulling your leg. "Inkarnation" is Danish for "incarnation" in English with a "c".

As always, however Mr. Here-There-and-Everywhere a.k.a. sir Vice Admiral Virtuoso a.k.a. The Magician from Oceania or simply my mentor and friend Corno Dolce is alert at all times to serve and protect - the way of the blues.

Thank you Corno Dolce (who does he think he is this aussie CT64?) "Inkarnation" is not a word? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Hello Intet,

Methinks CT64 is indulging in a little irony and sarcasm. He's a good bloke with a good head on his shoulders - the kind you'd want with you at the front lines. :cool::cool::cool:

Cheers,

CD :):):)

intet_at_tabe

Hello Intet,

Methinks CT64 is indulging in a little irony and sarcasm. He's a good bloke with a good head on his shoulders - the kind you'd want with you at the front lines. :cool::cool::cool:

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Corno Dolce

Geez, I know him CT64 to be a good bloke of down yonder aussie irony and sarcasm. However, how did you get from Inkarnation a.k.a. incarnation to - the front lines, assuming we´re not at war as of yet? :grin::grin::grin::grin:

methodistgirl

Right now here in Madisonville, sometimes you need to know some spanish.
I do know this one "Vaya Con Dios". That means May God be with you.
I also like Yiddish Hebrew. El Shaddi Adoni means Lord most high.
judy tooley