Learning a second language

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
There's a very successful little Mexican restaurant here called El Bracero and I try what I've learned on them. Sometimes the waiter would smile at me and walk off and then I sometimes get a response from him. Buonas noche which means good evening.
judy tooley

Where is my post I posted? I said something else then I said good afternoon in spanish. I will say it again Buenas Nache.
judy tooley

It was on the first page of this thread ... :grin:

Btw, it's Buenas tardes for good afternoon ... Buenas noches is Goodnight!! :eek: :cool: Si!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Do you speak English with a rich, sexy, eastern block accent darlink?

CT, You really killed me with this question...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not sure, though, what do you mean

But if I get it right - then no. I try to avoid speaking with this eastern block accent

marval

Perhaps we should invent Magleese, than we would have no problem communicating. But I have found that everyone one on this forum, speaks (writes) very good English.

Well done to all.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Mat - damn, the thick eastern block accent is attractive, that's for sure. Unlike Australian English which has the tonal colour of a dump truck.

greatcyber

I find that learning to speak a non-native language is not so much a challenge as an adventure, as long as you really have an interest in learning it. The hardest part for me is that I don't know anyone in the area yet to practice what I am learning. I use what I think I know when I am out in public and each time more and more seems to fall into place.

To me, learning a new language is tantamount to learning a new instrument. If you have the ear for it, the inclination and incentive, it can be accomplished. When I was in high school band, since I could read music, I could rent an instrument from the band department for a semester or a year for about $35 USD. All I needed was a fingering chart. So, from starting in the band only knowing the keyboard, I played the glockenspiel the first marching season. Then I switched to bassoon during symphony season. The next year for marching I learned the trombone. The following symphony season I learned the oboe, although I would still play the bassoon.

I found that the fingerings for flute, clarinet, most woodwinds were close, it was only the armbiture that differed. But again, if the desire is there...

BTW, I am using Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur as well as Before You Know It (freeware). I have Pimsleur on my laptop as well as the collection of CDs which is also on my MP3 player. I haven't been at it that long, but the hardest part to me is comprehending when native speakers are talking rapidly. I picked up quite a bit of Spanish living in South Florida (out of necessity) and find there are many parallels between Spanish and French. Once you start to think in the other language, you know that you are well on your way. :)
Stephen

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi greatcyber,

Armbiture? might you really be referring to *embouchure*?

Just curious...

Cheers,

CD :):):):)

greatcyber

Could Be

Hi greatcyber,

Armbiture? might you really be referring to *embouchure*?

Just curious...

Cheers,

Hi CD,

I learned the term from our band director. I suppose that he might have taught us an incorrect term. After travels around the globe, I have found that many things I was taught in school were not necessarily correct. In fact, some of the things we were taught (especially in Florida schools which rank 49th in the states) were out and out dead wrong. I googled and found the correct term (although I kind of KNEW that you would have the right answer). I appreciate it. As I always say to people, a good day to me is when I learn something new...anything new. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

greatcyber

Some Free Help

Thanks Great.
judy tooley

Judy,

Try this link http://byki.com for a free download of a Spanish tutorial course. It uses flash cards and you type in English and then in Spanish. It also changes the keyboard layout when you should be responding in Spanish, so you can get the accent marks and special characters. There are a multitude of languages you can choose from. I really like it...especially the FREE part! If you sign up for weekly emails, you will continue to get more lists to practice with. You can also make and/or get free lists to share with other people who are learning on their website. Give it a try.

As for the other programs, like Rosetta Stone, which is a little pricey, and I don't want to direct anyone to do something they feel is "unethical" but, you can also go to various "torrent" sites, such as ThePirateBay, Utorrent, Bittorrent, etc. (google torrent sites) and download "shared" files from other P2P users. For example, you could download Rosetta Stone with 27 foreign languages and pay absolutely nothing! Some of the sites as well as some countries have legal issues with this file sharing technology, but at this point, most of the sites are still legal and accessible. Just FYI. Personally, I am all for free. I can respect copyright laws, but I believe how this is allowed is that you are only getting parts of files from other users, not actually getting or giving entire copies of software/audio/video to others. But DON'T bother paying to join any file sharing sites, i.e. the ones that charge you say, $4.95 for a one-time fee for unlimited access. They are just a rip-off. Speaking from experience here.

Buenas suerte.

Stephen

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi greatcyber,

I had a feeling you were talking about *embouchure* because I play the Contrabass Trombone. Since you have played the bassoon you are quite familiar with what a bocal is. Anyway, I only want to help, not trying to be a show-off.

Humbly,