Finalé do an offer on smartscore, but even $199 is a bit more than I want to pay. Finalé does read Midi files, so a scan to Midi would be ideal, I've found some demo downloads so I'll give them a try today, see how/if they cope, Thee is one with a scan to midi only version for $49 which looks as though it would cope with what I want, but how accurate it is remains to be seen.
Yep, Musitek, I've taken the plunge and bought the "midi" version after a quick try with the trial version. It will make Midi files, which I can feed GO with, Finale will import both Midi and MusicXML.
Considering the original looks like a handwritten original from 1740 ish it's not too bad. I did start by enhancing the original in a photo editing app, improved contrast and brightness, converted to B/W and wiped out as many obvious marks as possible; I also removed the accidentals and the numbers for the figured bass; the # in particular were dire. (for a sample page see my PDF to midi thread) All in all I think it's probably taken me about 4 hours to do 26 measures of 2 staves, and that includes the learning curve!
I will next import to Finalé and work out the figured bass reading from the print or the PDF, so far I have the first movement done "by hand", and half the Allegro Midi-ed, hope to get the rest of the Allegro done this evening, that will just leaave the minuet. May have it finished by next year (still got 2 days of this one!)
I'll try both midi and XML imports just in case there's a difference.
Afterthought; one could almost manage without Finale by using the edit function in SmartScore except that it is slow and not that intuitive at first. Not so bad from a decent print or PDF file but I wouldn't like to do the figured bass work with it.
Now that I know what sort of "enhancements" to make to dodgy originals I'll probably be able top cut that down an hour or more. On a decent printed page probably much less than that. For $49/£32.85 it's probably worth it if you do a fair bit and don't need all the bells and whistles of the dearer versions. (More staves/parts etc)
Since the WIMA and IMSLP merger, it would appear that the WIMA Midi sound samples have vanished, so I can no longer import them to Finalé, however googling found Audiveris which will accept PDF scores and generate MusicXML files which Finalé will import.
Downloaded and installed, gave it a quick test with BuxWV160 PDF appears to do what it says on the tin; further reports as and when I can do a more in depth test drive.
A few minor initial niggles, the app hides all sorts of things in Docs and settings, so to get Finale recognised as a plug in (so it automatically opens when you send it a file) you have to find the file dealing with the Plug ins and "unhide" the Finalé scripts. It also saves everything in Docs and settings unless you use "save as" everytime
First run through Finalé has thrown up a couple of errors, but otherwise loaded OK. (Think it was referring to a clef at some line number)
Further on Audiveris, I've just gone right through BuxWV160, Chaconne in E minor in Finale using the XML generated by Audiveris, the first page wasn't too bad, second needed a few more corrections, it deteriorated considerably from there on, I finished up entering the majority of the remaining passages by hand from a PDF file print out.
Resurrecting this, Smartscore Lite is included in Finalé and Finalé Print Music, I got an upgrade from Songwriter to Print Music fairly cheaply and found Smartscore Lite included, It does what I need, it will scan a printed score direct into Print Music, so now I can print out IMSLP PDF scores and scan them into Notation software. Still have to manually interpret and enter figure bass though, there have been a few attempts to write Figured bass realisation plug ins but none seem to have been fully up to the crunch.
However I have downloaded The John Stanley concertos and will attempt to assemble them into solo organ arrangements and see what they sound like on Grande Orgue.