1. Agnus Dei was a woman composer famous for her church music.
2. Refrain means don't do it. A refrain in music is the part you better not try to sing.
3. A virtuoso is a musician with real high morals.
4. John Sebastian Bach died from 1750 to the present.
5. Handel was half German, half Italian, and half English. He was rather large.
6. Beethoven wrote music even though he was deaf. He was so deaf he wrote loud music. He took long walks in the forest even when everyone was calling him. I guess he could not hear so good. Beethoven expired in 1827 and later died from this.
7. Henry Purcell is a well known composer few people have ever heard of.
8. Aaron Copland is one of your most famous contemporary composers. It is unusual to be contemporary. Most composers do not live until they are dead.
9. An opera is a song of bigly size.
10. In the last scene of Pagliacci, Canio stabs Nedda who is the one he really loves. Pretty soon Silvio also gets stabbed, and they all live happily ever after.
11. When a singer sings, he stirs up the air and makes it hit any passing eardrums. But if he is good, he knows how to keep it from hurting.
12. Music sung by two people at the same time is called a duel.
13. I know what a sextet is but I had rather not say.
14. Caruso was at first an Italian. Then someone heard his voice and said he would go a long way. And so he came to America.
15. A good orchestra is always ready to play if the conductor steps on the odium.
16. Morris dancing is a country survival from times when people were happy.
17. Most authorities agree that music of antiquity was written long ago.
18. Probably the most marvelous fugue was the one between the Hatfields and McCoys.
19. My very best liked piece of music is the Bronze Lullaby.
20. My favorite composer is Opus.
21. A harp is a nude piano.
22. A tuba is much larger than its name.
23. Instruments come in many sizes, shapes and orchestras.
24. You should always say "celli" when you mean there are two or more cellos.
25. Another name for kettle drums is timpani. But I think I will just stick with the first name and learn it good.
26. A trumpet is an instrument when it is not an elephant sound.
27. While trombones have tubes, trumpets prefer to wear valves.
28. The double bass is also called the bass viol, string bass, and bass fiddle. It has so many names because it is so huge.
29. When electric currents go through them, guitars start making sounds. So would anybody.
30. Question: What are kettle drums called? Answer: Kettle drums.
Oh dear Vicki, not what you expect a conductor to need to do.
A country lad on one of his rare visits to the market town saw a music stool in the window of a shop. He went in, bought it, and took it home. Two weeks later he was back in the shop in a furious rage. "I been sitting on this darn stool for two weeks," he told the manager, "and I ain't got a note out of it.
Did you hear about the musical ghost? He wrote haunting melodies.
Little Harold was practicing the violin in the living room while his father was trying to read in the den.
The family dog was lying in the den, and as the screeching sounds of little Harold's violin reached his ears, he began to howl loudly. The father listened to the dog and the violin as long as he could. Then he jumped up, slammed his paper to the floor and yelled above the noise, "For pity's sake, can't you play something the dog doesn't know?"