Overtones / Timbre

Oneiros

Hi all,

I'm looking for some detailed info on how overtones affect the timbre of various classical instruments. For instance, I've read that the distinctive sound of a clarinet is due to the strength of odd-numbered overtones when a note is sounded. If anyone has suggestions on books to read or websites with info, I'd really appreciate it.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Oneiros,

A book entitled *The Physics of Musical Instruments* would be right up your alley.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Oneiros

Thanks Corno. I tried with some of those books today, and very quickly realised that I don't have the mind for science any more. :p

Thankfully I found a really cool program which looks like some fun: http://www.sygyt.com/

This thread can be closed now, if thats how things work around here.

Corno Dolce

Hi Oneiros,

Yes, that book is very technical in nature. Thanks for sharing about that website in this thread.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
This thread can be closed now, if thats how things work around here.

Oneiros,
I see no need to do that - no rules are being twisted, besides, this is an interesting thread. Thanks for sharing ;) that website info.

Corno Dolce

Hi Oneiros;

I wonder if that sofware program will really answer the question you originally posed or if it will be just a distraction in your quest for truth. I mention this just as a very friendly suggestion and as help. Here's to hoping that you will receive some benefit from the downloadable software.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Oneiros

I appreciate your concern, Corno. :)

It's funny you put it that way - it has become something of a quest for truth. I'm actually looking for a new way of creating music, focusing on overtones instead of on fundamental pitches like our classics. Something like overtone singing I guess, though applied to instrumental music. At least that's the idea at the moment - it'll probably change soon enough, as I learn more.

You may be right though - I'll try and work up the mindset to attack one of those scientific books. The information would surely help somewhere along the way.

Looks like this thread does have some prospects after all. :grin:

Corno Dolce

Hello Oneiros,

One of my *music coaches* put it to me this way once: *If one really understands music, then one will understand how the world functions.* Those are deep words and caused me to pause for awhile and still do. Thinking along the line of Physics, then there are so very many points of intersection.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Oneiros

A very true statement. I've been reading a book which delves even deeper into that idea - that music is a reflection (kind of like a microcosm) of life. It really opens your mind up to the power of sound, and how much musical meaning we normally miss out on because our theories / ideas about music are so rationalised.

It's funny - since thinking about this, music theory (which I used to love) now seems so limited in its explanations of sound as such and such. Consequently my grades are dropping fast. :eek: :grin:

If you're interested, the book is called The Mysticism of Sound and Music, by Hazrat Inayat Khan. Most of the text is on the net here. But be prepared for some pretty far-out ideas if you have a look. :)

Corno Dolce

Hi Oneiros,

Wow - thanx for the link. I just took a peek and found it very interesting. It'll be something for me to digest during my upcoming time-off in December.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce