what is your latest cd purchase?

gord

miles davis-original album classics (3cds box set)- columbia. three complete albums from the sixties, nefertiti, sorcerer, and filles de kilimanjaro. this is excellant value, just ten bucks for three classic albums. gord

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
@ Gord, That is truly a great find, and at such a price! Enjoy, there are some really sublime pieces on them.

gord

not cd, but vinyl.my big find in a garage sale today and for a buck
john coltrane quintet-standard coltrane-prestige
never even heard of this record before. gord

White Knight

not cd, but vinyl.my big find in a garage sale today and for a buck
john coltrane quintet-standard coltrane-prestige
never even heard of this record before. gord
Gord, I'm sure it's great! Could you please let me know what you think of it after you've listened and who the musicians are with him and what works they played? WHEW! Thanks and take your time.

gord

hi steve,apparently this lp comes from the same sessions as stardust and bahia recorded in 1958, that for me was at the height of his powers. i dont think he made records like this while he was with impulse.the band is wilber hardin,red garland,paul chambers and jimmy cobb. two beautiful ballads,dont take your love from me and invitation and two swingers i'll get by and spring is here. all performed with coltranes usual excellance, there was never any better jazz than coltranes prestige recordings, never. i am glad i found this album. gord

OLDUDE

Hi Stu,
Sounds like you're a big West Coast fan like me.
My favourite 10 inch album for many years in my youth was the fabulous "Shorty Rogers and his Giants" and then "Jazz Studio 2" which introduced me to the likes of Jimmy Giuffre and Herb Geller.
John

OLDUDE

My latest newly acquired CDs are

Branford Marsalis - Braggtown (Not really my thing but for a good cause (from charity shop)

Cannonball in Europe (same charity shop but much better)

John

OLDUDE

I have just downloaded 2 CDs from Amazon;
1. Jim Tomlinson - "Brazilian Sketches"
2. Jim Tomlinson - "Only trust your Heart"
2 for £10 not a bad deal

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
@oldude. Is that a good price in the UK ?? you now have to burn, make your covers and supply a jewel case that would push the final price up. what bit rate were they at John and how much are you paying for new CD's.
Thank goodness I don't have to buy any more CD's when I think of the small fortune I have spent on them in the last 20 odd years

I have just realised that you may listen via an mp3 player:grin:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
My latest purchase (not strictly CDs as via iTunes)

Beethoven symphonies (London Symphony-Haitink) - $19.95 (bloody bargain considering it's a sublime set)
Bach St Matthew Passion (Gabrieli Players) - $9.95 (also a bargain)
Holst the Planets Suite (Melbourne Symphony Orchestra) - $19.95 (quite nice except they didn't use a bass oboe, which annoys me).

White Knight

@ CT, Did you get the Complete Beethoven Symphonies set done by the LSO for that price? If you did, bloody well done indeed! :trp:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Steve - (please call me David!!), yes - the complete set, wonderful performances, too. The 3 horns in the trio section of the Eroica are incredible.

OLDUDE

Hi Colin,
Answering yours of yesterday.
I generally download to iTunes and of course then to my iPod (at whatever bitrate that gives me)
However I also automatically put the downloads onto CD as a back-up-and although I use WMP
with the good choice of bitrate that offers, I'm afraid that 128 is good enough for my less than discerning hearing.
I can hear your shudders from here.

Cheers John

stu

I recently downloaded from Amazon, the Sonny Rollins Road Shows Volume 2. Great stuff! As always from Sonny.

I am still a CD fan though. I transfer all downloads to CD, then get all the personnel details for the cover. I am running out of space for sure but I prefer the CD.

Another download was some tracks from Amaazon that had escaped me before, 'Johnny Hodges with Ben Webster'. Six tracks included within a Masters Of Jazz Vol 10 album. They are marvellous! Although they recorded together with Duke and on some other jam session stuff they were only about a couple of times on record in each others company. I recommend Cambridge Blues/Brute's Roots/Bouncing With Ben/One For Duke/Walkin'The Frog/ Rabbit Pie. With Lou Levy;Herb Ellis; Wilfred Middlebrooks;Gus Johnson. It is a lively well recorded set, solid bass work, gritty Herb Ellis; real snappy drumming by Gus Johnson, and Hodges and Ben magic to the ears!

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Hi Colin,
Answering yours of yesterday.
I'm afraid that 128 is good enough for my less than discerning hearing.
I can hear your shudders from here.

Cheers John

I realised later that you did this and I am not criticising, it is interesting to see how much CD's cost in various countries e.g Naxos which do classical and jazz cost NZ$12 each, at our large retail stores a CD would go from under NZ$1 up to $15 or so with the average @NZ$5-6,
dedicated music stores which are very scarce now would be considerably higher. as I mentioned I have not purchased CD for about 2+years.
Amazon IMO are a rip off.
btw on a HiFi system you would easily hear the difference in the low bit rates compared to a normal CD but on an mp3 player or your computer you would not. Good listening John regards Colin

OLDUDE

Hi Colin,
A quick check of the exchange rate tells me that £5 is about 10 NZ$.
The price of jazz Cds from say HMV has shot up since the recent financial crisis and I dont go near those places.
At Amazon UK new jazz CDs go at about £7.50-£15 so that 2 downloads at £10 now seems quite cheap. (while the offer lasts) Since I can get a
blank CD in a case for about 30p and can print off info from Amazon, Last.fm, and CD Universe cheaply my back-up CDs dont cost much.
I'm afraid that buying in NZ or the States would produce unacceptable transfer costs so I'm stuck with UK costs.
Anyway jazz is my main hobby these days so I dont mind too much.

Cheers John

OLDUDE

I've downloaded a Steve Lacy (soprano sax) CD from Amazon. Strangely enough named "Soprano Sax".
I'm quite taken by the guy's earlier work, but as time progresses he is starting to sound more of a Coltrane clone.

OLDUDE

Two dloads from Bud Shank.
"Essential Jazz Masters" - required 3 CDs to transfer.
"Brazilliance"