What jazz have you been listening to today?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Verve Jazz Masters 25 - Stan Getz & Dizzy Gillespie

P.S
Intet, I've sent you something

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Having spent much time in Florence, Italy throughout the past year, newly wet to my beloved Natasha - a woman in every sence of the word woman (read this: with a wip in her hand), I give it to ya all - The jazz trumpet player Enrico Rava - A remarkable musician, composer, initiator of a great Big Band, but first and foremost - the trumpet player E. Rava and at the same time a unique performer, whenever he performs, which is rare for him in his own country.

I guess Enrico Rava has performed and recorded more times abroad than any other Italian jazz musician throughout the past century and with more fame jazz musicians throughout the world - than any jazz musician from Italy - The Boot Country.

E. R. was born in Trieste, 1939 just in the beginning of the WWII. He is selftaught on the trumpet - a NATURAL. He has played Live on a stage and in every recording studio in the USA with everyone that matters throughout the 1960-2009 in jazz. He has received more prices than any other Italian musician before him. He is known in Italy as - The Man.

I have seen him play in three different Italian cities with different musicians, and one of the identicals for Enrico Rava is - He is always carm and solid like a rock. But can this guy make it swing on the trumpet?

Adagio!

For those of you, who do not know of this Italian GREAT, check him out, you will not regret it.

Today for you jazz-freaks, an older Enrico Rava Quartet album, entitled "The Pilgrim and the Stars" from 1975, recorded and released by the ECM Records 1975 :

Enrico Rava - trumpet
John Abercrombie - guitars, el. mandolin
Palle Danielsson - bass
Jon Christensen - drums

One Itailian, an American, a Swedish- and a Norweigian musician.

Incredible jazz music.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

The Italian pianist Enrico Pieranunzi was born in Rome in 1949. He studied classical music- and piano for a number of years from the age of 14, he even taught students, now a teacher himself later on at the same music conservatory, where he used to be a student himself.

In the late 1960´s he appeared on the stage as a jazz pianist playing with the Italian Marcello Rosas, and from that point in the beginning of the 1970´s he became the most used pianist to play with foreign jazz musicians visiting Italy.

Art Farmer, Johnny Griffin, Lee Konitz, Chet Baker, Phil Woods, Paul Motian, Marc Johnson, Charlie Haden, Kenny Wheeler and Joey Baron are just some of the international jazz stars., who have recorded and performed with Enrico Pieranunzi.

So to celebrate this Italian pianist, I´ll give you the quartet album "As Never Before", by C.A.M. Jazz Records 2008.

The musicians:

Enrico Pieranunzi - piano
Kenny Wheeler - trumpet
Marc Johnson - double bass
Joey Baron - drums

You should also listen to his double CD "Live In Japan" with his favourite trio in recent years feat. Marc Johnson and Joey Baron also recorded and released by C.A.M. Jazz Records in 2007. The concerts are from 2004.

intet_at_tabe

The American jazz pianist McCoy Tyner (Alfred M. T.), whose muhamedanian name is Sulaimon Saud, born in 1938 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA who was the favourite pianist of the legend on the tenor and soprano saxophone John Coltrane, during the years 1960-65, where the American drummer Elvin Jones also participated. The trio was known for it´s often very long improvised solos with John Coltrane in front on either the tenor or the soprano saxophone.

On this album "Remembering John", by ENJA Records 1991, McCoy Tyner remembers his friend John Coltrane by playing some of the songs composed and preferred by J.C. like India - Giant Steps - In Walked Bud - One And Four - Pursuance.

9 compositions in all, recorded by the McCoy Tyner Trio.

The musicians:

M. Tyner - piano
A. Sharpe - double bass
A. Scott - drums

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

In remembering of a jazz-freak from this thread, a stand-up guy from Hawaii, who seems no longer to be here at the MIMF. A guy and a man whom I really admired, unfortunately not quite able to honor, which I should have done, my first relation in jazz to both our fave Keith Jarrett and all other jazz mentors.

If you see this sir Corno Dolce - no matter where you are now, I know you´ll know this is in respect and unselfishly from all of me to YOU.

Keith Jarrett and the Scandinavian Quartet on the album "My Song", by the ECM Records 1978.

The musicians:

Keith Jarrett - piano, percussion
Jan Garbarek - tenor and soprano saxophone
Palle Danielsson - double bass
Jon Christensen - drums, percussion

The last song of this album is "The Journey Home", lasting some ten minutes, with the completely surpricing change in rhythm and speed, excactly what makes Jarrett as a composer always a genious, and for the rest of us uneducated jazz-freaks: On top of the world.

intet_at_tabe

On this sunny Saturday morning with an all blue sky, I proudly present to Ya all McCoy Tyner´s album "Supertrios", by Milestone Records 1977.

Please guys check in at this link for the biography and discography of this great pianist: www.mccoytyner.com

It does say here at this link in the biography that McCoy Tyner has a very percussive left hand while playing, so I could be wrong about my former statement against that opinion. As it shows here McCoy Tyner had his debut on record in his own name in 1962 on the album "Inception", and the last recording "Guitars" from 2008, which calculate to some 75 albums in all. Quite a jazz career for a remarkable pianist.

The album "Supertrios" on this Saturday morning certainly shows two incredible backing groups.

On songs 1-6 the musicians are:

McCoy Tyner - piano
Ron Carter - double bass
(the late) Tony Williams - drums.

The latter two from the former faboulos and famous Miles Davis Quintet, also back in the day featuring Herbie Hancock (piano) and Wayne Shorter (tenor and soprano saxophone).

The second supertrio on the songs 7-12 are:

McCoy Tyner - piano
Eddie Gomez - double bass
Brother Jack DeJohnette - drums

Eddie Gomez proberly best known for his coorporation with Chick Corea, but also with the late Michael Brecker in the band Steps Ahead and his own solo career.

Brother Jack DeJohnette does not need a presentation at all as a drummer. He has recorded and performed on the drums for 50 years, beginning as a drummer, while a soldier and having played for 25 years with Keith Jarrett and Gary Peacock in The Standards Trio. Jack DeJohnette has been the most used drummer in various groups and recordings in jazz for the past 40 years. From Sonny Rollins, McCoy Tyner to Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Niels Lan Doky, Chick Corea, Joe Henderson, John Scofield etc. etc. - The list of Jack DeJohnette recordings are endless.

McCoy Tyner certainly knows how to pick some of the very best musicians on the double bass as well as the drums. I remember that Ron Carter was the favourite double bassist of our former member in this thread, sir Corno Dolce.

Now for you guys at the MIMF worldwide, I wish Ya all a great relaxing sunny weekend.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

The American jazz pianist McCoy Tyner (Alfred M. T.), whose muhamedanian name is Sulaimon Saud, born in 1938 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA who was the favourite pianist of the legend on the tenor and soprano saxophone John Coltrane, during the years 1960-65, where the American drummer Elvin Jones also participated. The trio was known for it´s often very long improvised solos with John Coltrane in front on either the tenor or the soprano saxophone.

On this album "Remembering John", by ENJA Records 1991, McCoy Tyner remembers his friend John Coltrane by playing some of the songs composed and preferred by J.C. like India - Giant Steps - In Walked Bud - One And Four - Pursuance.

9 compositions in all, recorded by the McCoy Tyner Trio.

The musicians:

M. Tyner - piano
A. Sharpe - double bass
A. Scott - drums

Correction:

On this entry above in the thread talking about the John Coltrane Trio, I sourly missed out to mention the incredible double bass player Jimmy Garrison playing with John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones.

intet_at_tabe

Now I will present an Italian drummer - Aldo Romano, who made a huge inpact on me already years ago back in the day around 1975.

Aldo Romano was born in Belluno, Veneto, Italy in 1941. The family however imigrated to Paris, France when Aldo was at the age of 7, where he began playing the drums. He is selftaught, and has remained working and living thorughout his career in Paris, France, when not abroad, as a well respected international drummer, who can "sit in" in any group, who could play traditional swing jazz or BeBop for instance with the late french pianist Michel Petrucciani on the album "The Owl Years 1981-85", or more free jazz playing with guys like Don Cherry, Steve Lacy, Gato Barbieri, Joachim Kuhn, Keith Jarrett and Jackie McLean (1960´s).

Aldo Romano was a solid member of the very first french free jazz group - where also the late great french double bass player Jean Francois Jenny Clark starred from the beginning. But Aldo Romano also initiated groups with the Belgian guitarist Philip Catherine on the album "Transparence" 1986, the Italian trumpet player Enrico Rava on the album "Enrico Rava Quartet" from ECM Records 1978 and finally the soprano saxophone player Charlie Mariano during the beginning of the 1970´s, where the three of them originated the group Pork Pie, which also had Steve Kuhn (piano) and Henri Texier (double bass) in it. An example from this quintet is the beautyful "Oceans In The Sky" from 1989.

Like the American drummers Tony Williams and Paul Motian and the Swiss drummer and percussionist Pierre Favre, Aldo Romano uses a lot of cymbals in all sizes, while playing a rather small and traditional kit.

During two free lance years, Aldo entered The European Music Orchestra on the album "Guest" 1993 and in the trio with Stefano Battaglia and Michel Portal on "Musiques de Cinemas" 1995.

Aldo Romano composes music as well. Both in the free jazzgroove and the more traditional jazz and for two ballets as well.

In 2003 Aldo Romano was nominated to the Danish Jazz JASPAR Award, and received this presticious award in Copenhagen in 2004 during The Copenhagen Jazz Festival in July.

Among Aldo Ramano´s own groups and productions are the records:

"Il Piacere", by Owl Records 1977
"Alma Latina", by Owl Records 1983
"Canzoni", by Enja Records 1992
"Prosodie", by Verve Records 1995
"Intervista", by Verve records 1996
"Palatino", by EmArcy records 2001

main.php

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

When Luigi Paulino Alfredo Francesco Antonio Ballassoni began playing the drums and also auditioned in a competition in tapdancing, he was only three years of age.

Luigi´s Italian parents had arrived to the USA to Rock Falls, Illonois, in 1922 and the little Luigi was born two years later in 1924.

At the age of 16 Luigi had his name changed from Luigi Paulino Alfredo Francesco Antonio Ballassoni to the more american sounding name
Louie Bellson.

Then in 1940 he won the GENE KRUPA - drums competition in front of 40.000 other competitors throughout the USA, and from then on he made himself a career as one of the major Big Band drummers in jazz music in the 1940´s-1950´s.

First Louie Bellson played the drums in the Benny Goodman Orchestra, then with the Tommy Dorsy Big Band, then the Harry James Orchestra and finally the Count Basie Orchestra in 1950, before he made it with THE DUKE - Duke Ellington from 1951, while he had his own sextet with Charlie Shavers and Terry Gibbs.

First recording with THE DUKE was the album "Ellington Uptown", Columbia Records 1952. Then he toured around the world in The Duke´s band untill 1955, where he left the band and began teaching back home in Rock Falls, Ill., and Louie Bellson wrote 7 books on drumming. He also accompained his wife Pearl Bailey occationally.

In 1967 he was the leader of two individual Big Bands. Louie Bellson has performed THE DUKE`s suite "Black, Brown And Beige", more times than any other jazz musician during the 1990´s.

From 1967 Louie Bellson had become a celebrity in drumming, having been the first drummer at the age of 15 to expand the drums with two kicking drums, of course having the exclusive master of drumming in the past GENE KRUPA for his personal idol.

The following years 1967-1991 he recorded, performed and toured with musicians like Benny Carter, Harry "Sweet" Edison, Milt Hinton, Joe Williams, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Lionel Hampton, Oscar Peterson and Woody Herman.

For many years Louie Bellson was connected to the Norman Granz record company Pablo, and he was at the Montreux Jazz Festival every year in a new band. He was a regular member of the famous Oscar Peterson Big 6 band, counting Peterson (piano) Joe Pass (guitar), Milt Jackson (vibes) Toots Thielemans (harmonica) and the great dane Nils Pedersen a.k.a. NHØP (double bass). Listen to Oscar Peterson and the Big 6 on the album "The Big 6 at Montreux 1975", by Pablo Records 1975.

From the middle of the 1990´s Louie Bellson began composing music for various members of symphony orchestras and smaller string bands.

Some of Louie Bellson´s best (IMHO) recordings are:

"Louie Bellson Quintet", by Norgran Records 1954
"Big Band Jazz From The Summit", by Roulette Records 1962
"The L. B. Big Band - 150 MPH", by Concord Records 1974
"Louie Bellson Jam", by Pablo Records 1978
"The L. B. Big Band - Dynamite" by Concord Records 1979
"The London Gig", by Pablo Records 1982

louie3bellson.jpg

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

So this cloudy monday morning, I will return to the American pianist McCoy Tyner and his latest release, the album "Guitars" by artisthousemusic 2008.

The album contains a music CD and a DVD as well. This is the first album of the former 74 albums recorded since 1962, on which McCoy Tyner records with guitarists after his own choice. Not only guitarists, but some of the best of them. John Scofield, Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell and Derek Trucks. A great talent on the banjo Bela Fleck also participates. Bela Fleck, who made a duo CD some years ago with Chick Corea.

The music itself is a mixture of both improvisations and already composed music for a duo or with the band, by various artists and presents both jazz and blues.

Not supricingly McCoy Tyner wanted two of his long time friends to fulfill the band, both of them giants in jazz for more than 50 years on each their instruments - Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette.

Check out youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j966AGrGXZU

The musicians:

McCoy Tyner - piano
John Scofield/Marc Ribot/Derek Trucks/Bill Frisell - guitars
Bela Fleck - banjo
Ron Carter - double bass
Brother Jack DeJohnette -drums

So what are you guys waiting for - Enjoy!!

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Now I proudly present my very first album with an Italian Big Band, entitled "Litania Sibilante". The name of the band is ITALIAN INSTABILE ORCHESTRA, recorded and released by the German label Enja in 2000.

It´s an 18 man band with two drummers and the two guest musicians both famous in Italy - Enrico Rava (trumpet) and Antonello Salis (accordion).

The musicians:

U. Petrin - piano
E. Colombo - flute, soprano saxophone
G. Trovesi - soprano and alto saxophone, clarinet
C. Dato - bass clarinet
D. Cavalanti - tenor saxophone
M. Schiano - tenor saxophone and vocals
A. Mandarini/P. Minafra/G. Mazzon - trumpets
G. Schiaffini/S. Tramontana/L. Rossi - trombones
M. Mayes - french horn
R. Geremi - violin
P. Damiani - cello
G. Maier - double bass
T. Tonono/V. Mazzone - drums

The jazz music reminds me more of the Carla Bley Big Band or the Gil Evans Orchestra, than any other Big Band´s I can think of. There´s no reference in the liner notes to a conductor though, which absolutely make sense listening to song four "M 42".

intet_at_tabe

Since I gather you guys must have left your beds by now, having had breakfast and the needed 4-10 cups of coffee (to feel normal), here´s an old friend of mine - John Scofield, who I first got accuainted to, when MILES DAVIS took him in and John Scofield became the latest edition of a class act guitarist in the MILES DAVIS ELECTRIC BAND - which can be heard on the double album "We Want Miles", by CBS Records 1982.

However not to confuse anybody. This John Scofield album, which has an almost religious title "Piety Street ", by EmArcy Records 2009, is the latest of more than 30 albums from John Scofield and a very surpricing one. He does not play jazz, but in stead heavy sweating blues and southern rock music from the USA, almost identical to some of the songs composed by The Alman Brothers Band around 1972.

So why bring the views here on a jazz thread? Well, John Scofield is a fantastic always evolving jazz guitarist first and foremost. But like his American musical jazz guitar colleague Bill Frisell, who even made a blue grass album and one album of country songs (far out man), John Scofield will always break traditional boundries and seek for new territory.

Actually there are two songs here "It´s A Big Army" and "Just A Little While To Stay Here", the both of them could have been performed in a church, gospel alike, like had it been James Brown.

The musicians:

John Scofield - guitars
John Boutte - lead vocals
Jon Cleary - vocals, piano & organ
George Porter Jr. - el. bass
Ricky Fataar/Shannon Powell - drums, tambourine

Never heard of any of these co-musicians. Should anybody have wondered whether John Scofield can play the heavy blues as well, then this is your album.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

The album "Yesterdays", by the Standards Trio, once agian show these three fine elderly gentlemen, as innovative and as new as always before.

The songs of course of an older date, some of them in fact much older. But in the present edition, like only Keith Jarrett (piano), Gary Peacock (double bass) and brother Jack DeJohnette (drums) can do it - it´s all new again.

So these songs are but a handfull of another set of jazz standards, but played and performed with such a feeling and inside emotions on each song, that can only be mustered, changed and given to the always anxious audience at the two concerts in Japan in 2001, recorded and released by the ECM Records 2009.

Dorsetmike

Currently the Muggsy Spanier band, Dippermouth Blues, previously Art Tatum, Barney Kessel, Benny Goodman, Mel Powell, Dutch Swing College, George Shearing, Wes Montgomery, Stan Getz, Joe Pass, Mary Lou Williams, Duke Ellington, Jessica Williams and others, with a few classical tracks as well, all from Last.FM.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I've just listened to one of the most incredible things to come out of the sharp minds of the British: Stilgoe Who Pays the Piper? – Michael Williams, n; BBC Concert Orch/Andrew Greenwood BBC Radio International

intet_at_tabe

Chick Corea on his early album "Tones For Joan´s Bones", by Atlantic Records 1966.

Right on the year 1966. One of the very first freejazz recordings by Chick Corea in his own name with his own group. Only 4 songs on the album but they all swing.

The musicians:

Chick Corea - piano
Woody Shaw - trumpet
Joe Farrell - tenor saxophone, flute
Steve Swallow - el. bass
Joe Chambers - drums

Another thing for this recording in that particular time mid. 1960´s. The sound on this recording is actually much better than most jazz recordings from that time.

Chick Corea, the one jazz musician that realy got me hooked on jazz. Now, you jazzfreaks, I wish for you to have a nice relaxing jazzlistening Sunday.