Whoozis playing quiz

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Wrong this time, Stu.

He initially started his musical journey only with a drummer back in 1990. It wasn't until three years later, when a bassist had joined them, that they released their first album as a trio.

stu

I haven't left town Mat, or went into hiding, or dodged the question, :eek: but I must admit defeat. I had some names but non would fit the description you gave. Jason Moran sprung in to my mind, but then immediately sprung out again!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Okay, then. I admit it was a tough one. I won't keep you waiting any longer.

The pianist was... wait... wait........................................................................................ Esbjorn Svensson ;)

I've already got another clip in mind but maybe you'd like to post something first?

stu

Ah! it was him! :)
I actually considered Esbjorn Svensson. I know - I would say that!! However, I tend to often get him confused with another pianist who was, to my ears, associated with a somewhat similar approach, or maybe it was just his name that confused me!! Just for interest I'll chuck in a clip of his playing.
View attachment 09 Track 9.mp3

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Another tough one! It has a kind of 'post-Evansian' feel to it. One of the recent tracks by Jamal maybe?

Last edited:

stu

No, not Ahmed Jamal. He is one of the European stylists. Popular for quite a while with a certain well known group. Not E. S. T. Your 'Evansian' description can be part anagram of part of his name!:rolleyes:

stu

Mat, as I said I get somewhat confused due to slight similarities in style and names !! He isn't European he is American. Sorry about that.
Aw, better that I reveal all! It is Ethan Iverson. The number was Granada from a Cd he recorded with tenorist Mark Turner. Ivenson, along with the bass player on this Reid Anderson, later became notable with 'Bad Plus'.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
American or European, I wouldn't have known it was Iverson... :whistle: Will have to check if there's any recordings available on youtube.

We're looking mainly for the trombonist's name but any other band members will get you extra points.

Attachments

• quiiiiz.mp3
    748.2 KB · Views: 21

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Not Herwig, Stu.

He co-founded a famous jazz group. He played with them for 14 years, then took a break. Some 20 years later, he revived the group under a slightly different name (hope it makes sense :confused:)

stu

No. Mat, Can't figure out who this is! I went out with the dogs for my daily afternoon four hours walk along moorlland, through the forest, clambered over fallen trees, fell in the water, sat on a riverbank to have my intake of coffee and tuna sandwiches, after which, in the face of a stiff breeze, I finally managed to light my cigar after using 364 matches, AND- all afternoon I thought- who could that trombonist be!!!:crazy:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Wow, Stu. Did I read it right - four hours walk? Everyday? You must be in great shape.

I will give you another clue. Hope it'll help you figure out who the tromnonist is.

He's not a Joe and not a Fletcher. :D

stu

Sorry Mat, still haven't got a clue! Sorry for delay. Held up somewhat because the Sun came out and visitors arrived from everywhere. More are threatening to arrive!!! Still get my long walks in though.:smirk:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Okay, Stu. We were looking for the co-founder of The Crusaders - Wayne Henderson.

I think Mike's got something for us. So Mike, bring it on!

Edit:

Oops, seems like you beat me to it.

Last edited:

stu

I will have an another attempt at Matt's trombonist first Mike while I then puzzle my non existent brain on the piano quiz.
Mat, only other trombonist I can think off is Steve Davis?