Clocks

marval

I put my alarm clock and my watch forward, I do the rest Sunday morning. So the Magle clock woke you up Mike.

Margaret

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Well,

The quadruplets gave my wife and I a very wonderful wake-up call this morning with giggles of glee, so we were not caught unawares by the twice-yearly nonsense of shifting the clocks forward/backward.

Last edited:

dll927

I agree that it is twice-yearly nonsense of the first order. Why don't they just leave things alone? Daylight time serves mostly for tennis players and people with young kids that can stay outside a little longer.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Arizona does not observe daylight savings time - we remain on Mountain Standard Time all year. The logic for this has to do with our relentless summer heat - should we advance the clocks one hour, we would get zero relief from the hot summer sun until about 10:30 at night.

There are few other places in the US who do not change as well, I forget which at the moment.

Corno Dolce

Hi GrandMaster Krummhorn,

A little help on the way: Hawaii never changes the clocks.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Dorsetmike

I believe that nearer the Equator there is no point in "summertime" the difference in the duration of night and day is far less significant.

It makes more sense in temperate zones by extending the "useable" daylight hours into the evening. It's debatable if to retain the "summertime" throughout the year. the problem being in the winter months having darker mornings.

Corno Dolce

Hello Dorsetmike,

Excellent point you share. If I may, one feels *cheated* with the artificial shift of time that happens twice-yearly. Those who live in Northern most parts of the Northern Hemisphere do get to bask in lots of daylight hours in summer, however, they get too muck darkness during the winter period.

How's about an informal poll on this website: How many wish to live in Daylight-Savings Time as opposed to Standard Time?

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

marval

Interesting subject, I would prefer us not to change the clocks. Of course some people prefer it the way it is.

Margaret

Buchpteclare

DST

Somehow I always hate to go back to the Standard Time, I would prefer to stuck with the DST year round. Now if I could, I would probably want to 'follow' the sun. :grin:

Buttercup89

I set the clock a day early :p oops

But it got me up early enough to eat brunch out and visit Luisianna museum of modern art :)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
For some reason, possibly only known to the astronomer royal, Australia is doing this NEXT weekend ... more irksome. We are, however, going BACK to normal time. Thanks God as I hate daylight savings.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Wait; what time is it? lol

:lol: You're 3 hours ahead of me I think

When I lived in Washington state, which did observe the time changes, we didn't get sunset until 10:30 at night. In the wintertime though, it would be dark by 3:45 in the afternoon - it was a very strange feeling to get used to.

But oh, those Northern Lights in the summer months ... absolutely beautiful up in that region.

Corno Dolce

Yes indeed GM Krummhorn - Washington State is a beautiful place, especially between the Cascade and the Olympic Mountain Ranges. Where in Washington State did you live, if I may be so bold to ask...