I give up, the girls win!

Dorsetmike

Toilet seats!! Just had new ones fitted with an extra smaller seat for younger kiddies between the normal one and the lid, with a friction device in the hinges so they let down slowly, all very nice

BUT

As they are thicker than a normal seat, with a close coupled pan and cistern the bottom, adult, seat doesn't go fully vertical, but starts to lower itself unless you physically hold it up.

This may be all very well for the younger men among you (when sober), but for us senior types we sometimes need a bit of extra support, especially at 0dark30 hours when nature forces us groggily out of bed and across the landing, preferred position is an arm extended just above shoulder height leaning on the wall, head leaning on said arm, a reasonable 3 point support, the other hand trying to maintain aim while the seat slowly falls. OOOPS

The alternative is to transfer the support hand to the top of the cistern and use one or two fingers of that hand to hold the seat, this is nowhere near as stable a position, especially with a dodgy back.

As prostate problems can considerably increase the time support has to be maintained you can see how this can be a problem

The only safe answer would appear to be sitting down, i.e. the girls have won, we can't leave the seat up!!

The problem with sitting down is you soon fall asleep again which at this time of year could lead to frost bite of certain bits!

marval

Oh dear, that all sounds a bit complicated. My hubby sits down so you are not alone, we don't have a self closing lid though.

Margaret

teddy

Duckmeister
Some friends of mine converted an attic room to a bathroom, and decided to place the toilet in the eaves. Sitting on it required the taller amongst us to incline the head forward slightly. Standing up required you to lean back at an alarming angle. An interesting exercise when slightly inebriated.

teddy

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
When I was recovering from my hip fixing I had to have an extention seat that was a six inch raised extention in the vertical plane if you know what I mean, I got very attached to it

Dorsetmike

When I was recovering from my hip fixing I had to have an extention seat that was a six inch raised extention in the vertical plane if you know what I mean, I got very attached to it

Why, did somebody coat it with superglue?

teddy

Duckmeister

Whereas when we fitted these to both lavatories for my wife's opp I found them a real nuisance. We still have the childs step she used for entering the bath, and i have to admit that the suction operated grab handles for the shower are very useful,although I tell everyone they are just for her. I am much too young to need such things. :rolleyes:

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Certainly an interesting selection Margaret. Has anyone seen that toilet, built at the top of a skyscraper, with a glass floor. I think I would rather mess myself than go in there.

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . The alternative is to transfer the support hand to the top of the cistern and use one or two fingers of that hand to hold the seat, this is nowhere near as stable a position, especially with a dodgy back.

A small bungee cord might work to hold the adult seat up ... :crazy:

Dorsetmike said:
The problem with sitting down is you soon fall asleep again which at this time of year could lead to frost bite of certain bits!

:nut: that would bite ... :whistle:

Hawk Henries

We visited a community in the southwest some years ago. Most people had outhouses which was not a problem except the folks we visited with had their's precariously positioned on two boards placed across a chasm which was about 700 feet above the canyon floor. Not only did it move when you went in, the wind also shook it. It was like a trap~even if you had to only P you ended up getting the "you know what" scared out of you requiring a longer stay....

teddy

Duckmeister
Hawk Henries said:
even if you had to only P you ended up getting the "you know what" scared out of you requiring a longer stay....

Looking at my bank statements has the same effect Hawk :D

teddy

Last edited by a moderator:

methodistgirl

You don't know of the churches I went to growing up that
didn't have a bathroom. Two of them had outside Johns!
During the winter you would freeze your ? or during the
summer you would have to fight off the bees to use the
outside Johns. When I finally moved to the small city I
live in now, I was shocked by how many bathrooms a
church can have which was a novality to me. Even though
this is a school, churches also looked like this.
judy tooley

marval

When I first got married we lived in a flat in london, the toilet was outside. The bath was in the kitchen, all I needed was a long spoon and I could cook and wash at the same time. It was not too bad in the Summer, but in Winter, brrr.

Margaret