A lovely bit of jazz

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Steve, you've got to see this, it's amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4IMMaF7nPI

At ~ 3:03-3:43 - one of the smoothest changes to half-time I've ever heard.

@ Mat, Sorry I've taken this long to respond to your original post; the Chick Corea piece is fantastic, as is that transition you cited starting at 3:03. Also, thanks so much for helping Teddy gain access to that piece I posted. I really thought he'd enjoy it.
Again, it was Chick and Return To Forever. Did you sample it, and if you did what did you think?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
No problem at all, Steve. Glad you enjoyed the track. Though I can't say the same about the one you posted. It's to far from jazz for me. I much prefer his cooperation with Gary Burton on The New Crystal Silence.

teddy

Duckmeister
John
You were asking about a track I posted earlier. This is all I have been able to find so far.

teddy
"Chega de Saudade" (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈʃeɡɐ d(ʒ)i sawˈdad(ʒ)i]) (published English version is "No More Blues") is considered the first Bossa nova song. Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim (music) and Vinícius de Moraes (lyrics) it became popular in the interpretation by João Gilberto . It was first recorded by Elizete Cardoso on her album Canção do Amor Demais (1958) but the public did not take much notice of that release. Gilberto's own recording, released in July, 1958 as a single, made it a hit.
The title can be translated roughly as "enough longing", though the Portuguese word saudade carries with it a far more complex meaning. The word implies an intensity of heartfelt connection that is yearned for passionately; not unlike feeling withdrawal symptoms from a drug that makes one feel good. Another good analogy might be an intense homesickness. Chega, in this case, means no more, enough.
It has been recorded by jazz and rock performers, with the English language title "No More Blues". English lyrics have been written by Jon Hendricks and "Jessie Cavanaugh" (actually a pseudonym for music publisher Howard S. Richmond)
In 2000, the João Gilberto version was made a member of the Grammy Hall of Fame. A year later, in 2001, the album which it came from, Gilberto's album Chega de Saudade, was made an inaugural member of the Latin Grammy Awards Hall of Fame.
The song was performed by the cellist, Yo-Yo Ma on his album "Obrigado Brazil". American jazz vibraphonist Gary Burton also recorded the composition on his 1966 album The Time Machine and a well renown version on his solo album Alone at Last (Atlantic, 1971).

teddy

Duckmeister
[h=3]Just found this. It appears to be the real thing (at a price)

teddy

Amazon.com: Chega de Saudade: Stan Getz, Cannonball Adderley ...
[/h]

www.amazon.com › MusicJazzCached - Similar

Not helpful? You can block www.amazon.com results when you're signed in to search.www.amazon.com

Block all [url]www.amazon.com results[/URL]

You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Biography. Stan Getz, Bossas and Ballads: The Lost Sessions. Verve Records announces a major find, a previously unreleased session of vintage work by Stan ...

teddy

Duckmeister
And here is another link. Better stop now befor Mike accuses me of post counting :D teddy

Stan Getz Cannonball Adderley Shorty Rogers Music New, Rare ...

www.alibris.co.uk/.../ ...Cached

Not helpful? You can block www.alibris.co.uk results when you're signed in to search.www.alibris.co.uk

Block all [URL="http://www.alibris.co.uk"]www.alibris.co.uk results[/URL]

You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Alibris UK has new & used music performed by Stan Getz Cannonball Adderley Shorty Rogers, including new & used copies.

stu

Here is one of my favourite Getz recordings with trombonist Jay Jay Johnson. I contains extrovert blowing by both men but it's the way Getz floats into his opening solo and chorus that has never ever failed to make my nerves break step. Also the way he negotiates his way along hinting on the theme before his closing statement that knocks me imto oblivion!!:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqIzEI-ClNY&feature=player_detailpage

OLDUDE

Sorry Mat - the lady's not for me.
However stu, getz and Jay Jay are a different Kettle of whatsit.
2 of my favourites together - I coudn't ask for more.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Yeah, the arrangement's great and that's what got my attention in the first place. I searched youtube for more. There are only some 'live' clips from concerts. Funny thing is the band sounded just as good as on the recording I posted. The vocalist however... Well, let's just say it'll be better if she stays in the recording studio with all the *enhancing equipment*.

stu

This is the 'last train'. I promise!! But, please forgive me while I indulge whilst I recall working on the night trains. The glow from the firebox inside, pitch black outside with maybe driving rain, or sleet, cap pulled down low as I leaned of of the cab window looking for a tiny green or red signal, somewhere amongst the glare of town or city lights. If a red, then we haul up and wait, if more than two or three minutes then it was my job to clamber down on to the track and make for the nearest signal box, clamber up the wooden stairs to be met with a cheery hello from the signalman and the cosy sight of a kettle boiling on a coal fire. Pour a mugfull, sign the ledger book, date time and signature, (that was Rule 55) sit down take a mouthful of tea, then, without fail a damned bell would ring, the signalman hauled a lever and I had to depart downstairs and hop on board as the engine rolled up alongside. The loco was usually a WD class (war department Austerity) specially made for war time working but was now used as a work horse for heavy freight traffic. Good sturdy reliable, but slow. Mabye 30mph going downhill, and while working you had to plant your feet fimly on the floor as the engine careered rumbled and clattered it's way along. Destination, we arrive in the goods yard, with trucks of coal, fruit, farm machinery,veg, even livestock.
This track is by the Count Basie Band with the gutsy tenor of Jimmy Forrest. It somehow reminds me of such railway journeys. Sorry about my reminiscences.:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLB13C379BD8D3A91F&v=_bcp4qFHt5U&feature=player_detailpage

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator

Amazing horn section (as in most of Camilo's recordings).