artists you like that are not jazz performers

OLDUDE

I sometimes wonder about June Christy (one of my favourite female singers).
She certainly was a jazz vocalist in her time with Kenton, but could her later albums such as "The Misty Miss Christy" be classed as Jazz?

Cheers John

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief

This is not my spam it was a banner at the top of the page, if only I could sing

teddy

Duckmeister
I was in a couple of films when I was younger, but the last time I offered my services to an agency they replied that they were not planing a remake of The Thing From The Black Lagoon. :eek:

teddy

JHC

teddy, you are a one he he.
Talking of crooners I defy any one to come up with a better one than Bing Crosby such a beautiful voice his xmas songs were the tops, even now I come funny all over when I hear his voice

teddy

Duckmeister
How about Harry Belafonte (?) My cousin in the USA sound just like him when on the telephone.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Have been sampling Ry Cooder.Although I had heard his music before - Paris Texas etc - I only really became aware of him through Buena Vista Social Club. Enjoying his music. Really enjoying it

teddy

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Have been sampling Ry Cooder.Although I had heard his music before - Paris Texas etc - I only really became aware of him through Buena Vista Social Club. Enjoying his music. Really enjoying it

teddy

Teddy, if you want to hear some more of Cooder's immense artistry, try getting hold of the sountrack to the movie " Performance" starring Mick Jagger from 1970. His playing on this is simply awesome, as of course it is as well on BVSC!

teddy

Duckmeister
I did see the film many years ago Steve, but I can not remember the music at all. I will hunt it out. Last night listened to the music sound track from The Wicker Man, the original one with Edward Woodward. Some very good folk music with a touch of the Irish to some of it. Worth listening to if you like folk.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Never a great fan of Mat Munroe when I was young. It was probably the clean cut image that put me off. However I have learnt to appreciate his voice and have always loved On Days Like These used as an intro to The Italian Job. Was going to post a link but Youtube have decided that I dont exist. Will sort it out tonight.

teddy

OLDUDE

Amongst my male friends of the same age region, Doris Day remains the top female singer of all time. (Mind only one of these is a jazz fan).

John

JHC

Stop with the jokes wise guy that's my job
She was only the stable hand's daughter but all the horse manure, boom boom

Dorsetmike

I must admit to liking some of the close harmony A capella groups, Manhattan Transfer, Singers Unlimited, the Real Group and others, suppose this follows on from liking Swingles and Lamber Hendriks and Ross.

Some of the other big bands get a listen too, Les Elgart, Billy May, Glen Gray, Ted Heath, Joe Loss, but definitely not Mantovani, couldn't stand the wailing violins.