• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Can you really hear those 64' tones?

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll
Hi Matt,

The Cavaille-Coll organ in Orleans Cathedral in France has a 32' resultant reed.

It is composed of a 16' Bombarde plus a 10-2/3 Bombarde Quinte. Quite an unusual installation but does give an approximation of a 32' Bombarde Reed. Of course, it doesn't hold a candle to the roar of the 32' full length reed at St. Ouen in Rouen or at St. Sernin in Toulouse or at Notre-Dame in Paris. These are full-length metal pipes, not the wooden *thwackers* we hear most of the time in the States. A metal Bombarde sounds so much better than a wooden one.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers!

Giovanni

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Giovanni -
Was this done by Cavaille-Coll for space/cost considerations at Orleans Cathedral?

giovannimusica

Aloha Br. Lars,

A good question you pose there, dear sir. Space is not a factor in the organ loft of Orleans Cathedral. You could just about squeeze in a full length 64' reed without mitering the longest pipes. There were maybe some cost considerations involved since Cavaille-Coll was certainly not the least expensive organ-builder in his day. He strove for utmost quality in the design, build, and voicing/finishing stages.

Now, after poring over relevant literature by French and American Organographers I can feel confident in sharing that since the Orleans Cathedral organ built by Cavaille-Coll was one of his *early works*, I think he had yet to perfect the casting, assembly, voicing, and finishing of a full-length metal 32' Bombarde. That, I perceive to be a reasonable explanation as to the use of a 32' resultant reed stop.

I gladly welcome anyone who wants to correct my aforementioned assumptions about the Orleans Cathedral instrument.

Regards!

Giovanni :)

Soubasse

The Cavaille-Coll organ in Orleans Cathedral in France has a 32' resultant reed.

Ye Gods - one really does learn something new everyday :eek: Thanks for that info Giovanni

A metal Bombarde sounds so much better than a wooden one.
Aye too true - I remember the first time I heard a wooden Bombarde; it sounded like someone machine-gunning a leather briefcase.

giovannimusica

Hi Matt,

I like your characterization of a wood Bombarde 32'. Yes, it *thwacks* but its a dull thwack. Ya know, there are so many factors that go into the building of a reed stop. Imagine if Cavaille-Coll lived today - yes, I'm dreaming.......

Regards!

Giovanni

Soubasse

What constantly amazes me about C-C is the fact that for someone who was "just an engineer" he produced what are undeniably the most superbly musical organs in the world.

giovannimusica

Hi Soubasse,

Yes, C-C produced real *miracles* but ya know, the dirty little secret is that his instruments *found* their way into some of the world's most gloriuos acoustics - great organ + great acoustics = A Dream Come True...

Regards!

Giovanni

Piggy

A funny thing happened on the way to thje bathroom this morning

this link is interesting if you want to "hear" another 64 footer:

http://www.leochristopherson.com/about_the_hauptwerk_5-manual_organ.htm

Waking up in our hotel room in France this morning, I reached for my BlackBerry (sad, you may think, but its great for keeping in touch with home) and I noticed an email notification from Magle that there had been a new post.

With interest I clicked on the link you gave, Mr Contratrombone, and left it to load while walking to the bathroom.

'En route', I made a mental note to mention the poor sound proofing to the hotel, as the sound of a motor bike accelerating up a hill nearby pervaded the room.

It was only while in the bathroom that I realised that the 'motor bike' had followed me there - the page had loaded quickly, and the poor BlackBerry was valiantly playing the bottom octave with the 64' drawn!

My wife slept through it all, thankfully, or else she would have accused me of blowing raspberries, no doubt!

(Just in case anyone doesn't know, u can see a BlackBerry at www.blackberry.com)

Piggy

A funny thing happened on the way to thje bathroom this morning

this link is interesting if you want to "hear" another 64 footer:

http://www.leochristopherson.com/about_the_hauptwerk_5-manual_organ.htm

Waking up in our hotel room in France this morning, I reached for my BlackBerry (sad, you may think, but its great for keeping in touch with home) and I noticed an email notification from Magle that there had been a new post.

With interest I clicked on the link you gave, Mr Contratrombone, and left it to load while walking to the bathroom.

'En route', I made a mental note to mention the poor sound proofing to the hotel, as the sound of a motor bike accelerating up a hill nearby pervaded the room.

It was only while in the bathroom that I realised that the 'motor bike' had followed me there - the page had loaded quickly, and the poor BlackBerry was valiantly playing the bottom octave with the 64' drawn!

My wife slept through it all, thankfully, or else she would have accused me of blowing raspberries, no doubt!

(Just in case anyone doesn't know, u can see a BlackBerry at www.blackberry.com)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Oh that made me laugh ... how amusing. I bought a delicious organ CD today "Jean Guillou" transcriptions with Pictures at an Exhibition (great for showing of St. Eustache's wonderful reeds and mixture) and a two console version of Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances (four hands, two feet, playing on the one organ at two consoles ...)

Soubasse

If I was in a hotel room in France with my wife, the last thing I'd be thinking about is a computer or an organ (unless I developed some unusual fetishes ... :D)

CT64, if you wave some money in my direction, I'll come up to Sydney and we can play the Rach at St Mary's ;)

I remember doing the opposite, playing two organs from one console at a lovely instrument in Warwick, UK (also St Mary's). No 64' but it did have one Cavaille-Coll rank, a Voix Humaine (there were plenty of other pipes as well but they made a point of telling me about that one:))

Argoth

I found this link http://www.ondamar.demon.co.uk/lists/64.htm

" As far as I am aware, the following is a complete list of all organs in the world with a 64ft. register on the pedals - almost all being acoustic/resultant stops. (Electronic registers and 'harmonics of 64ft.' mixtures are not included.)"

I was under the impression that there were only 2 such organs in the world, or is this referring to something different?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
No ... two is correct ... two that have full length 64' stops (that are not resultants or acoustics).

To be honest - I'm not even happy with the sound of most resultant 32' stops I've heard ... something just not quite right. I like a fairdinkdum stop, not a fake.

Piggy

Just to save me scrolling back........

The two are, of course, Sydney Town Hall and ....er....um..........

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Hope you "Septic Tanks" (and if you're not American then you're not Septic Tanks) are not messing with my slightly dodgy Australian ethnicity, eh?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
And for those not used to Australian English (classy, to be honest). Fair Dinkum does not just mean true. It has a much stronger implication than just "true".

Any other Aussies here like to back me up?

For example ... if someone backs their car out of their garage and they accidently run your pet cat over and kill it. An Aussie might very well say "fair dinkum, did you get your driver's license in box of Fruit Loops!? you knuckle head"