• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Can you really hear those 64' tones?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear CT64,

I love to help my forum colleagues in any which way I can and to the best of my abilities - it really and truly makes my day.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I forgive you. Just keep this discussion going. I haven't heard from
Krummhorn yet! Where is he?
judy tooley

Judy,

I'm still around ... this is a busy busy time for church organists with all the special rehearsals, mid-week vespers, and Xmas eve & day services coming up within the next week. I'm also preparing for my annual concert in January at church ... this year we are combining Organ & Brass for the most part, although I am performing Franck's 3rd Organ Choral (A minor) as a solo piece in this program. :)

Echoing what CD is saying that the "36" could just be a stop number in the specification. The Wicks site doesn't have the spec for this opus on their current site. Numbers on stops have been a convenient way of registering the combination action instead of writing down the sometimes complicated stop names all the time - much easier to just write numbers.

methodistgirl

You guys, you are right about that. Oops!:eek: I thought the stop was a
36 but it is a 32 stop. That's all right though. Even the 64 size you can
bearly hear it sometimes but it really gives quite a rumble when it vibrates.
Sorry for being wrong!
judy tooley

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hello Ms. Judy,

No need to worry my dear. All of us on MIMF still know you to be a great human being with much to contribute to the wonderful website entitled MIMF.

Happy Advent to ya, sister.

Corno Dolce :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Piggy

Not sure if it makes any difference at all to the sound, but Liverpool Cathedral is a resultant 64'. I thought that meant it didn't have any pipes 64' long?

I don't think any organ here in UK has a true 64' stop. That's why I want to travel to Sydney and play a REAL one before I die!

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
The Liverpool instrument uses the 32' Double Open Bass along with the 32' Violone (wired to play at 21-2/3' when the 64' Resultant Bass stop has been drawn, thus creating the effect of a 64' stop.

Here's a definition from the Encyclopedia of Organ Stops that shed more light on what defined a Resultant tone.

Further, a quote from Dolmetsch Online Music Dictionary:
"a note produced under certain circumstances when two notes are played simultaneously, one of two types, either difference or differential tones (a note whose frequency is the difference between the frequencies of the two generating tones) or summation or summational tones (a note whose frequency is the sum of the frequencies of the two generating tones)."

Last edited: