Geographic composer abc game

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
To keep things moving along:

Niocoló Jommelli (1714-1774) Composer of choral and church works.

Ouled Nails

Krakamp, Emanuele (1813-1883) Messina, Italy

Published nearly three hundred works for flute and other wind instruments, along with "method" books for flute, clarinet, bassoon and oboe.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Francesco Landini (1325-1397) Although blinded during his youth years by smallpox, he managed to compose poetry and music of which about 150 works remain. His favorite instrument was the Portativ Organ.

Nullifidian

Bruno Maderna (1920-1973)

20th century composer, born in Venice, moved to Germany where he became part of the Darmstadt school.

My favorite piece: Musica su due dimensioni for flute and tape.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Pietro Nardini (1722-1793
Pre-Classicial composer of violin concertos & sonatas.

Nullifidian

This is a fun game, although I can see we're soon going to run into trouble, given that the only three J countries I can think of are Jamaica, Japan, and Jordan. It extends a little if one uses territories and dependencies, but who wants to be the person trying to find twenty-six composers, A-Z, from the Island of Jersey?

But until then....

Odo of Arezzo (c. 10th century CE)

Very little has survived from him, and there's practically no biographical information on him, save that he was an abbot in Arezzo, a theorist, and composer of religious works.

Ouled Nails

Yeah. I thought about the letter "J" too. And, then, there's the letter "K", more countries to be sure but how many composers can one identify in Kuwait, Korea, Kazakhstan, Kyrkyzstan....I think we'll need some creative guidelines from the regulators.:grin:

Anyway, the next Italian composer === Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da c1525-1594 Italy, Palestrina

Ouled Nails

I have a suggestion (for later). "L" and "M" could also prove difficult in the sense of yielding a country which offers plenty of composers from A to Z, so why not form one alphabetical sequence which would include composers from any country beginning with the letters J to M (i.e., Japan, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico). We are all reminded here, I think, that with regard to classical music, a A to Z sequence for any specific country is bound to be Eurocentrist (including the European populated "New World." Just a suggestion.....;)

Next Italian composer in the alphabetical sequence:
Quagliati, Paolo 1555-1628 Italy, Chioggia - Rome

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi ON (et al who are adding here)
I was also running a list of the country names J thru M. We could experience a similar instance for O, P and Q ... then T.

I really like your amended idea, if nobody objects, let's go with this after we finish Italia ... and thanks for the ideas and the letter Q :clap: !! This is, afterall, your forum, too.

Italian R= Gioaccchino Rossini (1792-1868) Probably his most famous work is the William Tell Overture

Nullifidian

Salvatore Sciarrino (b. 1947)

I also could have chosen Giacinto Scelsi (1905 - 1988)

You can see where my musical tastes lie by the composers I'm choosing. ;)

Favorite piece: Vanitas for voice, cello, and piano.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Giuseppe Verdi (1813-1901)

The late Victor Borge referred to him often as 'Joe Green' in his comic sketches.

Nullifidian

Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari.

And since there aren't any composers from Italy with names beginning in X or Y, as far as I know, I think the next person gets to choose.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Couldn't find an "x", but there is a "y":

Pietro Yon (1886-1943) Born in Italy, died in NYC (US)

(ps: there are a couple z's for Italy - who will be the next contestant?)

Ouled Nails

"Ziani, Pietro Andrea, b. Venice (Italy), Dec. (?) 21, 1616, d. Naples (Italy), Feb. 12, 1684, composer, organist. Uncle of Marc´Antonio Ziani; 1662 deputy conductor at the court of the Emperor's widow Eleonore in Vienna, organist at San Marco in Venice from 1669; frequent contact with Naples from around 1677, became organist at the court of Naples and in 1680 Maestro di capella. One of the most outstanding composers of early Venetian opera."

Ouled Nails

I would like to suggest we wait on the originator of this thread, rojo, before proceeding any further. The suggestion on how we could move forward after Italy is to derive the next alphabetical sequence of composers, A to Z, from not one but several countries beginning with the letters J (e.g., Japan), K (e.g., Korea), L (e.g., Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg), and M (e.g., Mexico, Monaco, Marocco). Practically, this would allow one to select a "A" composer from Mexico, a B composer from Latvia, etc.
I hope this ain't too confusing :confused:

rojo

(Ret)
Do you mean to suggest that we should list composers A-Z from any country starting with J, K, L or M? If so, that`s fine by me; I don`t think the game could continue unless we do something like this. Although maybe combining J and K countries would be enough for A-Z; not sure. What do the rest of you think?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I'm in accord with the suggestions made (j,k,l & m combined). Perhaps we can mention the country along with the composers name and dates.