Geographic composer abc game

Nullifidian

I agree as well. I do think we might have to do J, K, L, and M, because of the fact that Japan would be the best place for potential composers, but its phonemes and those of Korea will not allow us to cover all the potential letters, and throwing in Jordan, Jamaica, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan are hardly going to suffice, IMO.

rojo

(Ret)
Well, seeing as how there are no objections, and without further ado-

Yasushi Akutagawa (Japan. July 12 1925 - Jan. 31 1989)

Influenced by Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Prokofiev and Ifukube.

Ouled Nails

Lithuania
quoted from: http://www.christineseitz.com/northernvoyage.html
<<Konstancija Brundzaite was Lithuania’s first modern woman composer, and she retains a position of great importance in the history of modern Lithuanian music. She graduated in 1964 from the Lithuanian State Conservatoire, where she studied composition with Eduardas Balsys. Her list of works includes “Seven Lithuanian Folk Riddles” for chorus, “White Peaks” for orchestra, “Dialogues” for organ and chamber orchestra, and many other choral, vocal and chamber works.>>

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Cesar Antonowich Cui - Lithuania (1835-1918) His better calling in life was that of being a critic rather than a composer ... his works were, at times, in the hateful mode.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
František Drdla - Moravia (1868-1944)
Violin virtuoso, best known for his work Souvenir for Violin and Piano

Ouled Nails

El-Khoury, Bechara -- Lebanon (1957-)
Composer of symphonic poems, requiem, etc., whose works have recently been made available by Naxos.

rojo

(Ret)
Akira Ifukube (May 31, 1914 – February 8, 2006) Japanese composer of classical music and film scores. Composed music for the Godzilla movies by Toho.

Ouled Nails

Female composer Hee Yun Kim from Korea (South) who has just been awarded the first prize at the Pablo Casals Festival's international competition in music composition. Her award-winning work, Memories of Dong-Hak. is a quintet for flute, clarinet, piano, violin and cello. It is inspired by traditional Korean folklore on the historical theme of a late-nineteenth century peasant revolution against government intrusion and corruption. Money wise, she reaped 15,000 euros for her inspired work.

Ouled Nails

Maurice Ohana (Casablanca, Morocco, 1913), a student of Alfredo Casella. His anti-establishment approach to classical music reminds me of Revueltas:

"Les grandes leçons de musique, ce ne sont pas les musiciens qui me les ont données. Je les ai reçues concrètement de la mer, du vent, de la pluie sur les arbres et de la lumière, ou encore de la contemplation de certains paysages que je recherche parce qu'ils ont l'air d'appartenir plus à la création du monde qu'à nos contrées civilisées."
M. Ohana
[Musicians have not taught me the greatest lessons in music. I have learned them, more concretely, from the sea, the wind, rain showers on trees and the light or by contemplating landscapes and sceneries I seek wherever they seem to have originated with the creation of the world rather than from our civilized lands.]

rojo

(Ret)
I`ve been searching for a Q composer from a country beginning with the letter j,k,l or m for the better part of an hour; if anyone can find one, feel free to post it. In the meantime,

Silvestre Revueltas (December 31, 1899 - October 5, 1940) from Mexico. Composer of classical music, violinist and conductor.

Ouled Nails

Believe it or not, Franz Schreker was born in Monaco in 1878, his father, a court photographer, traveling throughout Europe to earn a living.

All right, you may not agree with such a circumstantial contribution. In that case, how about Robert Samut (1869-1934) a Maltese doctor and musician who composed Malta's national anthem?