Jazz quiz

marval

HI John, what would we do without Google. Let's see if I can do a trickier one.

Who used to play on Brooklyn Bridge on the 1950s?

Margaret

hardbop grandpop

billy tipton piano toiled in virtual obscurity all his career. but he became world famous on the day he died. why did he suddenly become famous? i doubt if anyone will get this,most people will say billy who. gord:confused:

OLDUDE

Billy Lee Tipton was born Dorothy Lucille Tipton in 1914 but lived for nearly 50 years as a man till he died in 1989

Cheers John (No secret safe from Wikipedia)

OLDUDE

I assume my answer was right.
Try this:
A s-w England leader who sounds part-Viking but smoother

OLDUDE

Spot on Mike.
I tried to be more cryptic with the clues but dont know if this just confused people too much
Please give me feed-back.

hardbop grandpop

hi mike,
the answer is paul quinichette ( i think i spelled it right ).
hopefully soon we will see some fresh names answering some of these questions. it seems to me only a handful of members are taking part. it does not matter if you get it wrong, it is all in fun, so take a shot at it. gord

Dorsetmike

You got it Gord.

My favourite Album featuring him is Borderline, with Mel Powell, piano, and Bobby Donaldson, drums. Best track "What's New" from that album. One of the 1950's Vanguard series produced by John Hammond. Reissued on CD as part of a compilation of the series and titled "It's Been so Long".

Last edited:

hardbop grandpop

hi mike, i like an album called the kid from denver by him. anyway the next question is, who sang loch lomond at benny goodmans 1938 carnegie hall concert. gord