Jazz quiz

Dorsetmike

Is the name somehow derived from Clarion, maybe like clarionette = a small clarion? Could be a sort of anglicised version knowing how over the years a word of French origin can get corrupted. (Not as bad as what them yanks do to the Queens English though :rolleyes: :smirk: )

OLDUDE

Teddy right with clarinet

mike - not far off (it is derived from the italian word clarino for a type of trumpet which apparently early clarinets sounded like)

you next teddy ?

teddy

Duckmeister
Born 1984 daughter of a preacher man. Started out by busking. Went on to sing with Armstrong. Her first film appearance was in 1929

hardbop grandpop

time for a difficult question. monty alexander,gil evans,kai winding three great musicians, but none of them born in the usa. what countries did they originaly come from. gord

hardbop grandpop

i guess this is a difficult question, its been six days and nobody attempted an answer. maybe everyone is bored by this game. seeing that i am going on holiday tomorrow i had better give the answers. monty alexander jamaica, gil evans canada, and kai winding denmark. hopefully somebody starts it up again. gord

teddy

Duckmeister
i guess this is a difficult question, its been six days and nobody attempted an answer. maybe everyone is bored by this game. seeing that i am going on holiday tomorrow i had better give the answers. monty alexander jamaica, gil evans canada, and kai winding denmark. hopefully somebody starts it up again. gord

I got the Kai Winding but was sure someone else would come up with the answer. I enjoy this thread. Trust you will have a good holiday

regards

teddy

Dorsetmike

In 1976 a well known work was recorded by a jazz pianist but not playing piano.

Name the work, the performer and the instrument.

Another performer was also involved, also not using his normal instrument

Who was it and what was he playing?

OLDUDE

Personally I give in Mike.
I can think of Musicians who also played piano as well as there own instrument but not the other way round.
Good one!

Cheers John

Dorsetmike

Clues.

The instrument was a stringed keyboard (i.e not electronic or pipe orgen)

He grunts/mumbles while playing.

Canadian

The music from the 1930's work takes 42.20 minutes to perform.

OLDUDE

Hi Mike, Thanks for the clue,
I know that Oscar Peterson did Porgy and Bess in 1976 with Joe Pass on guitar.
He played the clavichord on that occasion but unfortunately Joe was playing his own instrument (ie;guitar) so that cant be the one.
Cheers John

Dorsetmike

Alto sax player, also at times doubled on Guitar and Trumpet. Born Tulsa 1913; played riverboats, first recorded 1939 with Lionel Hampton.

Formed his own band 1945, which included John Coltrane on whom he was an influence. Acknowledged as technically brilliant on the Alto sax; very distinctive sound.

Died of a heart attack while performing in 1965.

OLDUDE

Earl Bostic.

Who was the jazz musician who stood for U.S. president.
He promised if he won to rename the "White House" to the "Blues House"