Seen any good films lately?

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Via Netflix, Artic Passage: Prisoners of the Ice and Artic Survivor. These are two excellent documentaries produced by the wonderful science series on PBS, Nova.
The first deals with the ill-fated and doomed 1845 expedition of Sir John Franklin and his crew to find and navigate a Northwest Passage between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The expedition unfortunately devolved into cannibalism and insanity--a fact for many years denied by the British Admiralty--after Sir John and his crews were trapped in freakish weather which caused their two ships to be ice bound for almost 3 years. Added to this was the fact that they were being poisoned by the solder used in their tins of canned food, and also driven mad by scurvy. They travelled heavy and with all the advanced technology of the 19th Century, which in the end, proved to be their very undoing.
Starkly contrasted with this is the approach taken by the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen, who, some 50 plus years later, tackled the same challenge, using only a re-fitted fishing boat and a much smaller crew {less mouth to feed and care for} and was able to successfully traverse the Northwest Passage with no fatalities. He was then able to reach the South Pole--just ahead of the much maligned Captain Scott--some ten years later. Again there were no fatalities. History well knows what happened to Robert Scott and his crew.
Amundesen proved--beyond a doubt--that traveling light and inuring oneself to a hostile environment--rather than trying to "conquer" it--as the British seemed so intent on doing, was in fact the right way to go about these endeavors.
The expression "less is more" never seemed to be more applicable.

White Knight

On Netflix, The Astronaut's Wife, starring Charlize Theron and Johnny Depp. Intersting premise to start with, but I thought the ending was kind of muddled and illogical. However, I was intrigued enough that I have gone out and bought the book; hopefully, everything will cohere better than they did in the movie.

Last edited:

White Knight

Pirate Radio, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman {what a great actor, I really do miss him} and Kenneth Branagh. A true account of Britain circa 1966, when the BBC had banned any rock and roll being beamed into the UK. In order to counter this, a group of very talented DJs and rock music lovers took to the North Sea in a ship dubbed "Pirate Radio" and broadcast some Golden Age rock music--including The Who, Hendrix, The Kinks and Stones--into millions of British households, which would otherwise have been deprived of this wonderful music.
Very interesting cast of characters besides Hoffman and Branagh--mostly British with whom I am not familiar--and the movie actually ends on a happy note. Well done, and highly recommended who came of age--myself included--during those exciting and troubled times. Despite the efforts of a very uptight and stodgy British government to ban them forever, in the end, the good guys win!
Long Live rock and roll!

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Sounds like THE BOAT THAT ROCKED. Probably the English title. Great fun and some good music. CD availabl`e as `well

`teddy

White Knight

DVD of the Miles Davis Quintet performing Bitches Brew in Denmark, 1969.
Music wasn't as "smoothed out" as I've grown accustomed to it via the studio versions. It felt to me as if the group was still trying to iron out some of the rough edges here. Music didn't flow as it usually does in a stream of consciousness type of effect; no breaks between pieces and the pace seemed rather stiff and forced to me.

Last edited:

White Knight

Via Netflix, Metropolis. As did Citizen Kane some many years later, this silent film introduced and employed many FX effects which were way ahead of their time, all in black and white.

White Knight

On Netflix, Take Shelter, starring Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain.Intersting, low key exploration of the boundaries amongst "reality" and mental illness. What one imagines or dreams might happen can--in fact--actually eventually come to pass.

White Knight

Ironweed, starring Jack Nicholson, Fred Gwynne and Meryl Streep. A story by William Kennedy which takes place in the mean streets of Albany, NY in 1938. This cast simply "hits it out of the park". Well done indeed. Seen on Netflix.

teddy

Duckmeister
American Beauty - Kevin Spacey
As far as I an concerned this film cemented his position as a great actor. A sad and funny film at the same time. Some of the incidental piano music is quite haunting.

teddy

White Knight

Via Netflix,The Mark of Cain, a documentary examing the brutal and often violent world of the Russian prison system, and the role that tatoos play in establishing--and enforcing--its rigid "caste system"
This film especially piqued my interest--as, after some 60+ years on this earth--after much agonizing deliberation, I have decided to get my first tat in a couple of weeks. Rest assured, however, that it will not be one of Stalin or Lenin, as many of the older Russian prisoners seem to favor, often as a matter of survival in a harsh political system, which is very accurately reflected in its penal sytem as well. :cool:

White Knight

Via Netflix, The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke, David Morse, Harry Dean Stanton, Barry Pepper, Sam Rockwell and James Cromwell. What we would term as "miracles"--for lack of a better term to describe them--may well occur in real life, but at the expense of both the innocent, as well as the guilty.
Many thanks to Teddy :clap: for mentioning this book and movie in a couple of his recent posts. I really enjoyed it.

White Knight

Via Netflix, The King Of Marvin Gardens, starring Bruce Dern, "Scatman" Crothers, Jack Nicholson and Ellen Burstyn. I have always liked Dern's acting, and the more I see of Nicholson, the more I'm "getting into" him as well. The ending truly shocked me; one lesson I do take away from this movie is never call a woman a "matron" to her face, that is, if you wish to keep on living! :nut:

teddy

Duckmeister
High Noon with Coop

probably as good as anything he made.

John Wayne called it unAmerican but I am still enjoying it after all these years. Only thing wrong is that the streets are too flat and even. Almost looks as if they are paved.

teddy

White Knight

High Noon with Coop

probably as good as anything he made.

John Wayne called it unAmerican but I am still enjoying it after all these years. Only thing wrong is that the streets are too flat and even. Almost looks as if they are paved.

teddy
Ted, As far as I am concerned, anything that great "patriot" John Wayne had to say about any topic--be it movies or politics--has less importanand value to me than a butterfly's belch. High Noon is a great movie, and is as "American" {whatever that means}--if not moreso--than the Duke.

White Knight

Via Netflix, Five Easy Pieces, starring Karen Black, Susan Anspach and Jack Nicholson. Chicken sal san, anybody? :lol:

White Knight

Hearts in Atlantis, starring Anthony Hopkins, Hope Lange, Anton Yelchin and David Morse. Based on a Stephen King story of the same name, the movie takes the liberty of changing the "low men" hunting psychic Hopkins from aliens to FBI agents during J.Edgar's tenure, with no loss of effectiveness to the storyline about memory and loss.

teddy

Duckmeister
Baqg of Bones was on last night another King adaptation with pierce Brosman. All three hours of it. Saw the first hour and then got a call to say someone I knew had died. Missed the rest. Looked promising

teddy