Seen any good films lately?

teddy

Duckmeister
Watched JUST ADD WATER last night. A gently film with plenty of humour about retribution. Quite enjoyable.

teddy

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Nil by Mouth, starring Ray Winstone and Kathy Burke. Quite a graphic--and, at times, humorous-- look at the seamier side of life in Great Britain as experienced by the people at the lower end of the economic spectrum. I am really impressed with the acting ability of Winstone, having just seen him in the film Tracker, also thru Netflix.

​Thanks go to my good friend Teddy, who recommended this flick to me. :wave:

teddy

Duckmeister
Cliffhanger - with Sylvester Stallone and a very good cast. Good fast paced film involving mountain climbing and a stolen hoard of money. Some great scenes.

teddy

White Knight

Via Netflix, The Serpent's Egg, a film directed by Ingmar Bergman, starring Liv Ullmann and David Carradine. An allegorical depiction/adumbration of the coming Nazi nightmare which would soon engulf Germany about 10 years after this filmic Germany was portrayed (1923).
Each character is representative of a country which has been totally devastated--both psychologically and economically--by WW 1, and is basically completely unaware of the maelstorm which will soon overwhelm their entire society. Seen on Netflix.

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Wonderful Life, Christmas Story, The Night They Saved Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street. Christmas overdose.

teddy

White Knight

On Netflix, Europa Report, with Daniel Wu, Embeth Davidtz, Christian Camargo and Michael Nyqvist. A thoroughly credible fictional documentary of what mankind's first trip into deep space might look like and reveal. This is a low keyed production, with nothing"over the top" about it. I thought the on board relationships and tensions were quite real, as was the final image left in the movie goer's mind--no spoilers here, however! :shake: I'd highly recommend this movie. :up:

Last edited:

White Knight

Via Netflix, Beowulf: Director's Cut, starring Ray Winstone, Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins and John Malkovich. Seeing this film tonight has awoken an interest in me to read this tale, fraught as it is with human suffering and fallibility.

teddy

Duckmeister
I have had a cop for about two years but have yet to watch it. This has prompted me.

teddy

White Knight

Hi, Teddy. Happy New Year. Our friend Ray Winstone really does one hell of a job--once again--in his portrayal of Beowulf. And Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mother is not hard on the eyes, either.

White Knight

Via Netflix, Franklyn, a dystopian future in a city not much unlike that of modern London, where the lives of four seemingly unconnected people come crashing together by story's end. Sort of a melding of Blade Runner {the movie, not the book} and The Matrix, ​this movie explores the boundaries and crossovers amongst imagination, coincidence and "reality". Its stars are Sam Riley, Eva Green and Bernard Hill.

White Knight

Alien Planet, a Discovery Channel speculative type documentary exploring the possible twists and turns life might have taken on a hypothetical planet light years away from Earth, constructed by engineers and scientists based on our current knowledge. An interesting exercise in both imagination and "reality"; our reality, that is. Whether their theories are correct or not, remain to be seen. I would say if not probable, they are to some extent at least possible. Via Netflix {bluray}.

White Knight

The Departed, starring Ray Winstone, Mark Wahlberg, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, Martin Sheen and Matt Damon. Intense story from Scorcese, which demonstrates that class and social divisions are very much alive, in both the criminal and law enforcement worlds. Had my interest the whole way. Via Netflix, on bluray.

Last edited:

White Knight

Dark City {Director's cut}, on Netflix, starring William Hurt, Jennifer Connelly, Kiefer Sutherland and Rufus Sewell. A dark and gloomy sci-fi tale of a dystopian future { yes, another one of those!} set in a mythical city in an unspecified future. Has elements of The Matrix, Metropolis and some of Christian Bale's Batman movies in the moods and sets. I liked it overall.

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Bad Day at Black Rock - with Spencer Tracey and a host of well know names that were up and coming at the time. Worth a trip down memory lane for

teddy

White Knight

Bad Day at Black Rock - with Spencer Tracey and a host of well know names that were up and coming at the time. Worth a trip down memory lane for

teddy

Fantastic movie, Teddy; one of my all-time favorites. I thought Robert Ryan was especially menacing as one of the tough guys. Great choice!

White Knight

On Netflix, The Butterfly Effect, with Ashton Kutcher, Eric Stoltz and Amy Smart. A story which explores the possibility of alternate universes or timelines, wherein the protagonist {Kutcher in a well played role} is able to travel back in time by dint of his concentrating his mind solely on written accounts he keeps in a journal of certain horrifying events which had previously occurred in his lifetime. He wants to return to these timelines so he might undo the evil, but is always stymied by something else happening which he hadn't prepared for. The bottom line is that the only way to change the bad things which had happened is to will himself to be aborted in his mother's womb, which he does. Overall, a little convoluted--as with any "time travel" tale, but I enjoyed it, and was pleasantly surprised at how well Kutcher portrayed the lead.

White Knight

Game of Thrones, Season 3, Disc 1. As usual, impeccable acting and stunning scenery. I freely admit--that, as with the books--I am totally hooked on this series. Via Netflix.

teddy

Duckmeister
Conspiracy - Val Kimner. Turned out to be a remake of Bad Day At Black Rock, but not nearly as good. Don't bother, unless you are bored

teddy