Totally useless facts ...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I sleep for 24 hours a day ... just manage it with my eyes open whilst I work, no one's noticed yet ...

Last edited:

marval

LOL at CT.
laughing-emoticon.gif

Margaret

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Some people have all the perks - @CT64 - :shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

Muza

Are we still speaking English? Cause you guys lost me with all those big scary words of yours ;):confused::grin:

Ok, here is one appropriate for the music forum:
Rod Stewart was once a grave digger.:eek:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I'm just guesstimating now: Could it be a Physics problem or because the sound waves emanating from a duck have a special characteristic which precludes their propagation? Sometimes ducks quack very loudly. I remember many years ago a summer in Sweden on a lake in the province of Småland where I heard some ducks quarreling and I could definitely hear an echo - The sound waves bounced off the water and the trees and the land topography surrounding the lake.

marval

Well CD, I found this which slightly dispels the myth that a duck doesn't quack at all. You were right CT, you must watch different tv to me.

Does a duck's quack echo?

The short answer is yes, it does. But this is a science myth that has been quoted all over the place.
Professor Trevor Cox and a team at Salford University recently did some research to get to the bottom of the problem with the help of willing volunteer, Daisy the duck. They found that a duck's quack does echo, but it is quite hard to hear the echo because of the quality of the quack sound. A sound that fades in and out (like a duck quack) makes an echo which can become mixed up with the original sound being made. This means it is hard to distinguish one from the other.
The other reason the myth may have arisen is because you don't often find ducks hanging around places where you commonly get echoes, like cliffs on a beach, or large cathedrals!

That could be it. Which in a way is physics.

Margaret