What jazz have you been listening to today?

gord

sonny rollins--east broadway rundown-impulse
sonny rollins--vintage sessions-prestige
miles davis--seven steps to heaven-columbia

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
On Spotify:

McCoy Tyner--A Pair of Pianos {with Larry Vuckovich}
Mccoy Tyner--Essential McCoy Tyner {Live}

stu

Digging among the shelves and found a few compilation CD's.
James Spaulding-alto, tenor flute with Ricky Ford; Jimmy Knepper; Mulgrew Miller (R.I.P); David Murray;
John Hicks;Ron Carter; Wallace Rooney;Kenny Barron; and Sun Ra.
Gary Bartz alto; with Kenny Barron; Buster Williams; etc.
Gary Thomas with George Colligan.
Eric Alexander with Yoron Israel.

Last edited:

gord

gil evans--the individualism of gil evans-verve
clifford brown --in paris-prestige
art blakey--hard drive-bethlehem

gord

thelonious monk-alone in san francisco-riverside
thelonious monk-piano solos paris 1954-vogue
oscar peterson-tracks (solo piano)-polydor

stu

Johnny Hodges All Stars-Live At The Sportpalast, Berlin 1961. (Immaculate swinging Hodges with the usual swinging suspects)

When in need of relaxation and jazz to take you from this place to that some other place -Duke Ellington. 'Masterpieces' CD. A 1950 reworking in length of four of his most famed compositions,
Mood Indigo/Sophisticated Lady/The Tattooed Bride/Solitude. Tracks vary in time from 11 to over 15 minutes.:cool:

stu

After last nights trip with Duke I reckoned it was 'time out time' and relax within the crazy world of Slim Gaillard. Time for FUN! Slim summed up a lot of the world around him in a hip way, played piano hands upside down, solid swinging guitar, and a solid foot tapping driving rhythm. (when I talked with him he kept asking "Have ever been to the four moons lately?)
How High The Moon ("the moon never wonders how low we are!")
When Banana Skins Are Falling I'll Come Sliding Home To You.
The Hogan Song (she lives in Pensahogan by a Wishahogan Well.. she drives a Cadahogan... she's a Hogan by day and a Hogan by night, she'a regular Hoganite)
Momma's In The Kitchen But We've Got Pop On Ice.
Little Red Riding Woods ("she's lost in all of them Woods, but what wood? nobody knows, was it Glenwood, Oakwood, Redwood, Hollywood, Knock On Wood..."
Slims' Jam. with Dizzie Gillespie; Charlie Parker, Dodo Marmorosa etc. ("here's Charlie Yardbird o' roonie")

IMO, Mad guys like Slim are not around anymore in a world dominated by so called celebrities, charisma by passed TV 'stars' , and Cookery programmes- 'doughballs'
Or as Slim once advised on cooking..."pick up some grapes leaves mix in a little salt o' roonie, some peppervoutie then take your mixture and nail it to the roof, then let it vout for a while...it'll taste real fine and real mellow too...)
That's my rant for the week over.:)

Last edited:

stu

No relation to John, Teddy, although the name Watt sounds Scottish! Och aye, lang may yer lum reek!:)

Last edited:

gord

lucky thompson--dancing sunbeam-impulse
stan getz-j.j.johnson-at the opera house-verve
lester young--in paris-verve

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
That's one of their best albums, IMO.

Today I've listened to some Shirley Scott.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I just finished listening to Zoot Sims - Just Friends. I gotta admit - my miserable day just got a little bit better.

Last edited: