42-String Guitar played by a Master...

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
42-String Guitar played by a Master of Jazz Guitar...

Well gang,

Here's a treat for the ears and soul by today's Master of Jazz Guitar on an instrument built by Linda Manzer of Canada:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT81mNjrA7M

Enjoy - I do it immensely as does my tribe................

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
A beautifully sounding instrument ... had to look it up - it's called a Pikasso Guitar.

Some information on this instrument available here

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Very interesting CD but I fail to see the point in it other than drones and multiple harmonics you still have only two hands.
Geez I am an old stick in the mud eh.

Corno Dolce

"Old stick in the mud"

Nonsense! In the hands of a Master it can create much music of many different origins, styles, and genres. Its an extension of the artist's body, mind, heart, soul, and spirit. Of course, at first it seemed counterintuitive to me - no doubt about it - I thought: Totally crazy!!!??? But coupled with the knowledge of "oriental scales" - musical traditions and so on, it will provide new vistas for the listener. Of course, put this instrument in the hands of one who only knows I, V, IV chord progressions, if even that, it would be a disaster! Each musical instrument requires a learned hand in order for it to be put to its fullest use.

JHC

CD are you saying that the finger board on this instrument can facilitate chords that a std finger board can not? and which oriental scale can be played on this board that can not be played on a std board or does the musician somehow change to one of the other finger boards? it would be interesting to see it being played perhaps by Julian Bream. due respects. :)

Corno Dolce

Think of it this way - Like a pipe or electronic organ with 3 or more manuals - A guitar with several sets of strings like the Pikasso Guitar gives the interpreter the flexibility of accessing different sounds without having to retune the "main" guitar.

Well, oriental scale would be like that used in Hindu Music, Pentatonic scale in Chinese/Japanese music and so on...

JHC

Here is one being played he seems to be strumming one set of strings and fingering what I assume is the main fingerboard, I must admit I don’t get it, the overtones produced + the built in amp and external microphone together make a sound which is new to me, still it is in itself a makers masterpiece. Not to sure about the sound

Just a thought but Indian (Hindu) scales use 1/4 notes this would not be possible on this keyboard because of the frets and Pentatonic can be played on a conventional finger board or are we talking of different things?

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Thank you CD. A lovely interpretation of a favourite piece. Thanks also to Lars and Colin for the extra information. Not something I would dare to tackle myself but maybe a new challenge for our very own John Watt?

teddy

Corno Dolce

"Ponder or rubbish" - There we go again - Please, I will not rubbish - I have already pondered: The 1/4 tones and Pentatonic scale will be facilitated by the strings without frets ergo - Those which you see that he occasionally strums - The ones on a 45 degree angle. I can perceive that it is challenging for you - I myself am (still) pondering the different possibilities that this instrument offers to a Master. The sound palette? Yes, for some it will be an un-necessary "harmonic mush" but I see that other possibilities are available without the "harmonic mush" or shall I say "train of overtones"?

JHC

But CD look at the width of the finger boards he could not get his hand around it, the only way to use it would be as a Zither is played. No, I must admit I am flabbergasted. He is fingering the conventional fingerboard (why) yet playing the strings on the other boards we need a Guitar player to explain this for us.

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

"Get the hand around the fingerboard" - Well, get your hand around this:

http://www.warrguitars.com/gallery/phalanx-series/7279464

A guitarist also uses the "tapping technique".

"As a Zither is played" - Naturally, dear sir...Maybe if one pokes around on a Guitar Forum where there are resident users of Pikassos and Chapman Sticks one can then suss out the answers one seeks. I wish I had more ways to explain so that you be helped for I am at the end of my chain.

GoneBaroque

Before we lose it in the discussion CD your submission was surely a treat for the ears. I don't think that tune has ever sounded better. Really impressive playing and a geart sounding instrument.

JHC

"Get the hand around the fingerboard" - Well, get your hand around this:

So that is strung for left and right handed players or someone with 3 arms or for 2 players one heck of a wide fingerboard
A guitarist also uses the "tapping technique".

"As a Zither is played" - Naturally, dear sir...Maybe if one pokes around on a Guitar Forum where there are resident users of Pikassos and Chapman Sticks one can then suss out the answers one seeks. I wish I had more ways to explain so that you be helped for I am at the end of my chain.
I do hope it is not a choker chain CD :grin:

Corno Dolce

Yes, its a choker chain - And I am being strangled by it :lol:

Hi GB,

Thanx...I was simply stunned by the instrument in question - and then to discover at just how tenderly a tender piece can be interpreted - Yes, the riot of "harmonic colors" produced by the instrument might not be everybody's cup of tea but??? Ah well.........

JHC

Before we lose it in the discussion CD your submission was surely a treat for the ears. I don't think that tune has ever sounded better. Really impressive playing and a geart sounding instrument.

GB, CD and JHC would never lose it over anything, But I do sense CDs frustration at my persistence, if you see my first post I said the only thing that I could see as a positive in this instrument were:
the drones and multiple harmonics which you have both now mentioned, whoopee, plus I can’t figure out how the dashed thing is played it is the kind of instrument that I would expect from some guy who would then extol the many artistic, intellectual and musically supeperior aspects of the 42 string 97 seater LH RH Pikasso Guitar, well it takes all sorts! kind of if you know what I mean. I am a totally committed devotee to acoustic instruments with the one exception of the Vibraphone so the only real interest that I have is in working out how you play it, unlike you I am not in raptures of the overall sound which I find muddied and confusing. I hope this causes no or at least not a lot of antagonism from you lot of mains powered freaks (only kiddin)
CD the trick with the choker chain is to stop struggling.

Corno Dolce

Br. Colin,

Thank you for your very charitable view - You are a gent of the first order. Its not so much frustration in re to your persistence but rather frustration about my own shortcomings. I am unsatisfied with myself, simply...There is so much that I lack words for and I can't express that which I want to say. And to my colleague GB let me say that I enjoy animated conversations, especially when I perceive that all parties can receive benefit from it. I perceive that we are family here and that Truth spoken in Love creates situations in which growth can occur.

Now, Back on topic: What, again, is it Br. Colin, that flabbergasts you about the Pikasso? Besides that which you share in your 2,351st posting? You wish to arrive at the Truth, Being and Rationale in re to the Pikasso, n'est-ce pas?

In re to the choker collar: Yes, I stopped struggling long ago........

methodistgirl

What an instrument! With my knowledge of the guitar, I'd do well just
playing the typical six string flat top.
judy jennings

JHC

Br. Colin,

Back on topic: What, again, is it Br. Colin, that flabbergasts you about the Pikasso? Besides that which you share in your 2,351st posting? You wish to arrive at the Truth, Being and Rationale in re to the Pikasso, n'est-ce pas?

Comrade My flabergastiation is purely or should that be poorly ?? in the method of playing the fingerboards other than the main conventional one(if indeed they are fingered) and not the sound produced + now I come to think of it why is a mic required when it is amplified or is it in fact a cooling fan?

GoneBaroque

And to my colleague GB let me say that I enjoy animated conversations, especially when I perceive that all parties can receive benefit from it. I perceive that we are family here and that Truth spoken in Love creates situations in which growth can occur.

I agree CD, animated conversations make the Forum interesting and we can all learn from the opinions of others. We are all friends and can respect and enjoy each others opinions. I do not accept the reputed thoughts of Tomas d'Torquemada when he said (according to legend) "If you believe you are right you have the moral duty to convince others, by force if necessary".

Corno Dolce

Br. Colin,

Excellent question! Again, I have to revisit my thought that it is the flexibility that is offered by the instrument in re to tunings - How one can set-up the instrument before a concert in order to achieve certain sound palettes. Yep, there seems to be amplification and mic-ing going on - Maybe he is also running the instrument through a guitar synth patch - Yes, it is a most unconventional instrument and the way he uses it is unconventional.

Hi GB,

Torquemada you say? That evil spawn...Glory to God he was but a blip on the radar screen of human history. That he is still remembered today is surprising...Maybe because of his evil nature he is remembered as an example of how radically evil human nature can become i.e. Caligula, Caracalla, Hitler, Pol Pot and so on.

I think of the quote: "Man's capacity for the utter and complete abnegation of Truth knows no bottom."