Seen any good films lately?

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
It was on televison a few weeks ago but so late that I could not stay awake for it. It is definitely on the list. I must get something to record on now my old VCR has gone West.

teddy

As much as I like Stallone and his Rocky movies {especially the first one}, the fight scenes in Raging Bull--shot in black and white--with the blood of one of La Motta's opponents slowly dripping onto the ropes after he has savaged him--are truly memorable.

teddy

Duckmeister
Lord of War - Nicholas Cage

Young man works his way up to become an international arms dealer. Great twist at the end. One of his best films, and as with all good films, a great start.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
American Graffiti - Launch pad for quite a few well known actors.

A group of kids spend a last night before going off to college. The cars featured are a joy for any petrol heads.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Hot Fuzz . Another Simon Pegg film concerning murder in a small English village. Very funny.

teddy

White Knight

The Prestige {Netflix}, starring Michael Caine, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale. Although I was a little tired of the use of doubles for both magicians--especially at the end--I overall liked the cast and the premise of this story, most markedly at its beginning. Any exploration of the parameters amongst science, "real magic" and "merely" illusions has always piqued my interest. I now intend to read Priest's book of the same name {on which the movie is based} and to order up The Illusionist--starring another favorite of mine, Edward Norton--as my next Netflix selection.

White Knight

Saw this last night on Blu-Ray:
70043951.jpg

Overall, I was rather disappointed in the way the film ended, with police inspector Uhl {Paul Giamatti} suddenly piecing together--via his eidetic memory and a series of flashbacks--exactly how Eisenheim {Edward Norton}--actually managed to pull off the greatest illusion of all: namely, bringing the "dead" back to life. Frankly, it just left me confused.

teddy

Duckmeister
Watched RENEGADE last nigh with Keifer Sutherland and Lou Diamond Phillips. Entertaining action film. Unfortunately missed the last 15 minutes as I had to collect my youngest who was late leaving work so I could have seen the end anyway. The joy of parenthood.

teddy

White Knight

Via Netflix, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, starring Tom Courtenay and Michael Redgrave. Shot entirely in black and white, a "no frills" saga about one young man's rebellion/passive resistance against a system he perceives will never give him a break. Terse and quite to the point, I thought.

teddy

Duckmeister
Tonight it will be Layer Cake. A good Britisg gangster film with a host of stars headed by Daniel Craig. Very much in the tradition of such films as Get Carter (The English version)

teddy

John Watt

"The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" was influential for me in the early sixties.
That's up there with "The Days of Wine and Roses", "The Sandpiper" and "Baby the Rain must Fall".

"Mongol", might sound bad as a movie title. It's about the birth of Genghis Khan up to his first army.
Lots of magnificent scenery and a culture gap that draws you in.
You gotta hear Mongol singing.

teddy

Duckmeister
The Man Who Fell To Earth with David Bowie is on tonight, at the very time I will be picking my daughter up from work. Saw it years ago and would like to see it aging. Maybe I will catch the last hour

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Quadrophenia - Made by The Who and starring Phil Daniels and list of other stars too long to mention, including Sting. Margate had a Strong link with the Mods many of whom still attend an annual rally there. This film was shown in a local cinema about three years ago and the theatre was packed with Mods of all ages. And you could have heard a pin drop.

teddy

White Knight

Via Netflix, The Minus Man, with Janeane Garofolo, Cheryl Crow and Owen Wilson. Wilson plays a cherubic, goofy smiling serial killer who blends chameleon like into any situation he likes. Different turn than what I'm usually accustomed to seeing him do. I thought he pulled it off quite well, even if the story line was a little murky at times for me.

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman.
The western re invented. A particularly haunting ending

teddy

White Knight

Via Netflix, Episodes 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones, starring Mark Addy and a cast of thousands. So far, I am quite pleased that the film version hews very closely to the book. I have just ordered Episodes 3 and 4; cant wait! :alc:

White Knight

Via Netflix, I am in the middle of watching the entire second season of Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin. Simply a magnificent British cast and production {I can't get over how good Peter Dinklage and Amelia Clarke are!}. As good as the books are {I have just begun book 4} the film version is all that as well.