Seen any good films lately?

teddy

Duckmeister
Watch the new Superman film, Man of Steel. Unfortunately I still see Christopher Reeves as the definitive Superman and did not rate the new film.

teddy

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I d/l "How green was my Valley" from youtube I remember it from my childhood and was keen to see it again but, it is amazing how false the acting was in those days the overall effect was OK and an emotional film with some male voice choir background music.

teddy

Duckmeister
Saw this as a kid living in Wales. The lad who starred in it was the son of a chap from the next village so there was quite a rfuss about it

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Watched two films last night. Paul Newman in Hombre and also Panic Room. Paul Newman was such a good actor I could almost cry that he is no longer with us.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
High Noon with Gary Cooper. One of my favourite films as a kid, I was suprised how good it was and how it has not dated. Truly worthy of its awards, even if John Wayne didn't approve of it.

yeddy

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
High Noon with Gary Cooper. One of my favourite films as a kid, I was suprised how good it was and how it has not dated. Truly worthy of its awards, even if John Wayne didn't approve of it.

yeddy

What would he know?? Ravel did not think much of 'Bolero' which must be the best crescendo ever written :cool:

teddy

Duckmeister
John Wayne complained that it was un American. He did not like the portrayal of the townsfolk refusing to help their marshal when he needed them.

teddy

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
John Wayne complained that it was un American. He did not like the portrayal of the townsfolk refusing to help their marshal when he needed them.

teddy

And this coming from a man who never served a day in his life in his country's uniform, but was perfectly "willing and able" to portray military heroes, albeit on a safe and sound Hollywood movie set. What a right-wing hyprocrite!

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Plenty of those around Steve. They talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Last night watched The Eiger Sanction - Clint Eastwood. Enjoyable.

teddy

White Knight

Even though I have often disagreed with Clint's politics, he served in the Army. The Eiger Sanction is a great flick, as are most of the ones he's appeared in and/or directed. Have you seen Gran Torino. Teddy?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
We've been watching Foyles' War of late on Netflix. Very good suspence/detective sort of show - it hails out of the UK and has been running for about 8 seasons, although they only do 3 or 4 episodes each season.

Waiting for Gravity to arrive at the cheap theater here ... no way am I going to pay $14.95 for one ticket ... or be totally cheap and wait for the DVD.

Kh ♫ (aka Mr cheapskate)

teddy

Duckmeister
Yes I have Steve and enjoyed it. Nice to see him taking the mickey out of himself as well. I also enjoyed The Changling. Another slow burner that he directed.

teddy

Have you seen Gran Torino. Teddy?[/QUOTE]

White Knight

Yes I have Steve and enjoyed it. Nice to see him taking the mickey out of himself as well. I also enjoyed The Changling. Another slow burner that he directed.

teddy

Have you seen Gran Torino. Teddy?
[/QUOTE]

I really respect Eastwood, because as he is growing older--visibly--he is shedding a lot of that over the top "macho tough guy" stance and expressing more of his vulnerable side. yet he still comes off as a principled man who "sticks to his guns", no matter the situation or circumstances {e.g. Gran Torino}, even if he has to die in the process. He still is tough, on the inside as well as the outside. I can only hope that I age with as much dignity and grace as he has evinced.

Last edited:

White Knight

Via Netflix, Inside Job, a Matt Damon narrated documentary about the 2008 American financial implosion. The only thing I regret is that the over-greedy perpetrators of this global fiasco ended up with massive bailouts and generous retirement packages instead of lengthy jail sentences.

teddy

Duckmeister
The same happened over here Steve. Just proves that you can steal more money with a briefcase than you can with a gun.

teddy

White Knight

The same happened over here Steve. Just proves that you can steal more money with a briefcase than you can with a gun.

teddy

Especially when--as it seems to be here in America--the so called "regulators" and leading politicians are in bed with the same criminals who gamed the system in the first place.

White Knight

More of the same flavor tonight, with Chasing Madoff, another documentary about how the misnamed regulatory system--in this case the SEC--completely fell down on their job of protecting innocent investors, and so countless numbers of trusting people had their lives ruined forever. Truly disgusting!

White Knight

A remake of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, starring Gary Oldman. Interesting version, with some minor tweaking of the original story. However--for me--no one will ever have the gravitas of Alec Guinness as George Smiley, though Oldman is fairly good. Seen on Netflix. On the whole, the original British cast and production were much stronger; this rendering felt weaker and not "British" enough for my tastes.

teddy

Duckmeister
Have not been able to watch it Steve as I loved the original so much. I also have not been able to watch the remake of Brideshead Revisted. I have the original Courtesy of the Daily Mail, and nay watch it again soon

teddy