What jazz have you been listening to today?

gord

john Coltrane--slowtrane (3cds) not now music. this is a terrific album.3 prestige lps,the last trane, setting the pace, and Bahia, from my favorite Coltrane period. n.n.m is gathering together a great catalogue of hardbop.just check their website.hopefully they have permission to do this.gord

teddy

Duckmeister
Some more Pat metheney tonight as the family are watching &&&& on television.

As Falls Witchita

teddy

Latona

Have you sampled his Blue Note Years with Art Blakey and the Messengers? Some fantastic music there as well!
Yes! Shorter was a very versatile player, and very compatible with guys like Lee Morgan or Freddie Hubbard. I really love his albums as a leader in the '60s as well, a run of wonderful LPs.

Now playing -

Jackie McLean - Swing, Swang, Swingin' (Blue Note - 1959)

gord

hi steve, I have 13 albums by blakey,6 on blue note,the rest on various labels.my favorite blakey,is the one with thelonious monk on atlantic.gord

stu

A few days ago British jazz lost one of it's greats, Stan Tracy.
I attended many of Stan Tracy's concerts and he never ever failed to deliver.
A true giant!!
Stan Tracy Quartet- Captain Adventure-Live At The 100 club, 2cd's. (Art Themen;Dave Green;Bryan Spring)
Stan Tracy Octet-Live At The Festival Hall-The Salisbury Suite- plus Malcolm Griffiths; Don Weller;Harry Beckett; Jeff Daly)
Stan Tracy Octet-100 Club- The Bracknell Connection.

Last edited:

stu

Yet more sad news. Jim Hall. Another giant indeed.

I'll give some listening tonight to
Jim Hall Trio-with Carl Perkins;Red Mitchell.
Jim Hall-Concierto-with Paul Desmond; Chet Baker.
Jim Hall- with Paul Desmond and John Lewis.

Latona

Yes, RIP to a great guitarist.

Earlier today I was playing: Bill Evans and Jim Hall - Undercurrent (UA - 1962)

Now playing: Jaki Byard Trio - Sunshine of My Soul (Prestige - 1967)

gord

keith Jarrett--Vienna concert-e.c.m.
miles davis--e.s.p.-Columbia
wayne shorter--the soothsayer-blue note
three great cds.

gord

sonny clark--cool struttin-(2cds)-not now music.two blue note albums,sonny clark trio and cool struttin
Jackie mclean--bluesnik (2cds)-not now music.two blue note albums, bluesnik and capuchin swing
this is terrific jazz,I bought eight of these not now music cds at a local record show brand new for 5 bucks each.
I will play some more tomorrow.gord

Latona

sonny clark--cool struttin-(2cds)-not now music.two blue note albums,sonny clark trio and cool struttin
Jackie mclean--bluesnik (2cds)-not now music.two blue note albums, bluesnik and capuchin swing
this is terrific jazz,I bought eight of these not now music cds at a local record show brand new for 5 bucks each.
I will play some more tomorrow.gord
Yeah, there are so many great reissues of classic jazz albums now - the fact that so many are now being made available through licensing deals because their original copyright deals have expired is simply excellent for music lovers. As long as the music is presented faithfully in terms of original length, speed, and decent sound quality, this abundance is a real boon.

Now playing:

Joe Henderson - Mode For Joe (Blue Note - 1966)

gord

john Coltrane--tranes blues-giants of jazz (ex prestige)
john Coltrane--Dakar-prestige
john Coltrane--blue train-blue note
red garland--dig it-prestige with john Coltrane
red garland--soul junction-prestige with john Coltrane
five Coltrane albums,i am in heaven.that fabulous tenor sax,and not one note on the dreaded soprano sax.gord

gord

stan getz--the cool sound of stan getz (2cds)-not now music.two verve albums, the steamer and imported from Europe
paul desmond--blues in time (2cds)-not now music.warner bros album,first place again and verve album blues in time with Gerry mulligan.
freezing cold and snowing like hell outside,so been stuck inside allday.thankfully I have some good jazz to listen too.gord

gord

dexter Gordon--the jumpin blues-prestige
Freddie hubbard--the body and soul-impulse
oliver nelson--the blues and the abstract truth-impulse
three jazz classics.