Your favorite jazz standard

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
While at it yesterday with Alex Riel, I figured you should have another album from his hands, since the guys "upstairs" has planned for a dry monday with no rain? Well living in Denmark, you´ll never know until the end of the day. Perhaps our common song the other day by the Beatles "Here comes the sun" helped.

The Alex Riel album on this monday morning is "Rielatin" feat. Kenny Werner (piano), Jerry Bergonzi/Michael Brecker (tenor saxophone), Mike Stern (el. guitar) and Chris Minh Doky (double bass). Chris is the brother of Niels Lan Doky (piano) mentioned yesterday.

Best regards to all of you friendly people,
intet-at-tabe

intet_at_tabe

Thanx Intet and NEB - I appreciate it.

Corno Dolce

Come to think of your gently reply "I appreciate it". Well Corno Dolce, so will all of us at MIMF receiving invitations for the bachelor party prior to the marriage from some of the older more mature and experienced crowd here. :grin::grin::grin:

Also it is very important for the groom to actually be there at the church on time sober and ready. See you!! :tiphat::clap::wave:

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hello Intet,

My Lady is the better half of me and she far outshines me - I wonder sometimes what she sees in me? She always provides the best for me and cares very much for my well being. So much so that she does not want to see me getting involved in a bachelor party - I shall duly follow her advice.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

intet_at_tabe

Hello Intet,

My Lady is the better half of me and she far outshines me - I wonder sometimes what she sees in me? She always provides the best for me and cares very much for my well being. So much so that she does not want to see me getting involved in a bachelor party - I shall duly follow her advice.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Corno Dolce - Can´t help myself.

Easy does it my friend. A marriage is like a job of your highest expectations, the more you offer and give the more you profit. There is her, there is you and then what the two of you share (sorry compadre for the hidden insider trading here) not driving a car, eh? :grin::grin::grin::cool::cool::cool:

A piece of advice though and also the very reason for the nessesary bachelor party, we´ve all been there - before you fall to your knees throwing the towel to the center of the ring. :grin::grin::grin::cool::cool::cool:

Easy does it. Remember you´re gonna last hopefully for 50-60 years in love, be role models for your 13 little ones, where you are the father. You´ll be plenty occupied.

But you know the drill. Share your love but keep your bank accounts secreter than secret.

Just kiddin´with you compadre,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Hi Intet,

Keep up with the good humor dear sir and soon we might see you as the next great TV comedian. :):):):grin::grin::grin:

No, there won't be a bachelor party - My Lady has saved me from much embarassment during the course of our courtship.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

intet_at_tabe

Corno Dolce,

Thankx for the joke :):):):grin::grin::grin: on my behalf: Keep up with the good humor dear sir and soon we might see you as the next great TV comedian. Thankx, but No thankx.

As a stand-up comedian you simply have to be able to remember the intire story, and have the talent to tell it in a funny way. But I never can remember the story nor tell it funny. Which makes me as a potential TV comedian into a humiliating example of someone, who should never in his wildest dreams copy "Raw", by Eddie Murphy or you compadre :):):):grin::grin::grin:

But then you seem to have enough on your hands at the moment, planning the upcoming happy and most deserved event. Though, nothing funny about that since there won´t be a bachelor party. A piece of advice though for you and the lady in question about the music you guys will choose, when you have given each other your love, the promises to turn around walking down the aisle. Betthoven´s 5th Symphony can be awesome, inspirering and beautiful, but not for this occasion :):):):grin::grin::grin:

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Hi Intet,

We've already chosen the music: For the Processional we'll have William Walton's "Crown Imperial" and for the Recessional JSBach's Overture to Cantata #29 "Wir Danken Dir Gott, Wir Danken Dir".

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet,

We've already chosen the music: For the Processional we'll have William Walton's "Crown Imperial" and for the Recessional JSBach's Overture to Cantata #29 "Wir Danken Dir Gott, Wir Danken Dir".

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Good for you Corno Dolce,

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

hardbop grandpop

standards i like, lets face the music and dance-- moonglow---memories of you---blue monk--- and gloomy sunday, which is my all time favorite.stan kenton fans should listen to his version of gloomy sunday on the album the world we knew.

OLDUDE

Hi hbgp (How about an easier signature such as Fred or whatever),

This seems to be a somewhat old thread that you've rediscovered (previous last entry Jan 15 2008) but never mind that; as a newcomer myself it works for me.
You've got me thinking but I'll throw in something soon. (No doubt tied into your Deserted Island thread

Cheers John

Dorsetmike

I think What's New takes some beating, so many recorded versions, every treatment different, but most are excellent, my favourite rendering of it must be Mel Powell trio, Mel Powell, Piano: Paul Quinichette, tenor sax: and Bobby Donaldson on drums, a 9 minute track taken fairly slow and they really pull it apart and reassemble it every which way.

It's on last.fm and has been rereleased on a CD.

I think there are about 16 versions on last.fm, probably on spotify as well.

Methinks it's time I took that CD upstairs for late night listening.

OLDUDE

A problem I have with this theme is, are we dealing with the tunes as instrumental, vocal, orchestral and jazz, pop or whatever versions?
I can be put off a wonderful standard for life given the way they can be sometimes presented by duff artists.

However ignoring the above I agree with previous posters regarding:-
The Girl from Ipanema (especially the Stan Getz version I have);
Whats new (I first heard it by Ronny Scott);
In addition
'Round Midnight (June Christy);
Misty (Erroll Garner)

Thats for starters,
Cheers John

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Favorite Jazz Standard

I've been listening to "Ill Wind" from the Lee Morgan "Cornbread" CD. This has to be one of the most beautiful renditions ever done. The muted horn he uses sends it into another dimension entirely. Anybody agree?

Corno Dolce

Man, its a really tough one for me - After much ado methinks "McCoy Tyner plays John Coltrane" is the jazz standard for me. I believe it was recorded at the Village Vanguard. Such raw power and feeling.........

teddy

Duckmeister
Round Midnight EST
St James Infirmary Blues Teagarden
Stormy Weather Lena Horne
Misty Errol Garner

I am sure I can find some more. I agree with John. You have to consider the piece, not the original artist or even composer, and then your favourite artist interpreting it.

teddy

gord

there are many standards i like, one of the best in my opinion is autumn leaves by cannonball adderley, on the album something else. gord :cool:

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Just found this on spotify Steve. One of his best I would say.

teddy
Hi Teddy :grin: Hope all is well with you and yours. I'm so glad you got to check out that song as done by Cannonball Adderly. Truly an awesome performance.:tiphat: Look forward to hearing from you again. Steve

Last edited: