Maybe I bit off more than I could chew?

musicteach

So I wanted some opinions on something that happened today. My youngest, Jake, plays little league and this is his first season. He plays with a couple of boys from school who are his friends. Anyways, they ha d a scrimmage game today, which is all fine and well...except for minour thing. So it was close to the end of the game, and a fly-pop was hit towards the short-stop, and the ball was like maybe two foot over his head, and he was unable to catch it. However one of the outfielder's caught it, and ended the game. But the coach completely blew a gasket over this kid missing a ball that was way over his head. I mean I'm talking this guy was yelling at the top of his lungs at this eight year old, dropping the f bomb, asking what the f*** his problem was, and just went on and on. So I pulled the coach off to the side and asked him was that really needed and he completely freaked out on me. The kid's own dad didn't even defend him.

So I was wondering if maybe I overstepped my boundaries considering it wasn't even directed at my child? Or do you think I was right in this and the Coach just completely went overboard? My personal opinion is that it's a game. And as long as my child gives the best effort he can, and he's proud of how he played--win or loose--and he had fun, that's enough for me. It is, afterall, a game. Or I dunno maybe my views are old fashioned and out of date.

Dorsetmike

Pity you didn't record the tirade, his language may have been sufficient for a charge of corrupting a minor. Probably the kid's dad has been brainwashed by the media to accept this kind of behaviour from coaches? Were there any other witnesses that may have felt as you did, if so maybe report the coach; from what I read however it sounds almost par for the course in some American schools, the sports faculty and players can do no wrong.

musicteach

Pity you didn't record the tirade, his language may have been sufficient for a charge of corrupting a minor. Probably the kid's dad has been brainwashed by the media to accept this kind of behaviour from coaches? Were there any other witnesses that may have felt as you did, if so maybe report the coach; from what I read however it sounds almost par for the course in some American schools, the sports faculty and players can do no wrong.

I know, and it really bugs me--the sports faculty can do no wrong part. There were a few people milling around, but apparently he's always been like this--which I discovered after talking to parents afterwards. Although this is not school related but a community sponsored team. Even with my high schoolers, I don't get in their face yelling at them asking them what the f*** is their problem. No I say okay that wasn't as strong as it could have been, so what do we need to fix?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I know, and it really bugs me--the sports faculty can do no wrong part. There were a few people milling around, but apparently he's always been like this--which I discovered after talking to parents afterwards. Although this is not school related but a community sponsored team. Even with my high schoolers, I don't get in their face yelling at them asking them what the f*** is their problem. No I say okay that wasn't as strong as it could have been, so what do we need to fix?

Hi musicteach,

Mefeels you did right - You stood your ground against unnecessary language toward a small kid by an adult. There's no excuse for such behavior by an adult toward a young child.

BTW, I like your signature quote by Fmr. Pres. Ford

Last edited by a moderator:

teddy

Duckmeister
Quite agree mt. Stand up and be counted. I would certainly make a formal complaint, if necessary to the police. He gets away with it because he gets away with it. I bet if he had been grabbed by a very large and violent parent he would have soon backed down. Children seeing that sort of behaviour and hearing that sort of language from a so called responsible adult may well believe that it is alright to copy it. And that is how thugs are born.

teddy

musicteach

Hi musicteach,

Mefeels you did right - You stood your ground against unnecessary language toward a small kid by an adult. There's no excuse for such behavior by an adult toward a young child.

BTW, I like your signature quote by Fmr. Pres. Ford

Thank you :) I like that quote too.

Quite agree mt. Stand up and be counted. I would certainly make a formal complaint, if necessary to the police. He gets away with it because he gets away with it. I bet if he had been grabbed by a very large and violent parent he would have soon backed down. Children seeing that sort of behaviour and hearing that sort of language from a so called responsible adult may well believe that it is alright to copy it. And that is how thugs are born.

teddy

Well... If he comes after MY child like that, may whatever God he believes in have mercy on his soul. And I'm more so the lesser of his troubles. Because whereas I'd be like batman...my wife would be like the Joker... if you get my joke. If it happens again, I'm going to report him to the State Youth Sports Commission..but this time I'll be recording the game.

teddy

Duckmeister
One can take action for a number of reasons but I believe that there is a case for taking action to protect the people who can not take action for themselves, for whatever reason. You might call it looking after the little people, the ones who are defensless. A good a reason as any

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Musicteach, you did the right thing, imho. That coach should not be addressing kids in that manner ... and what was the difference anyway? Another team member caught the fly ball, which appears to have been the objective at the time.

These coaches think they rule the world and that they can great other like dirt. The lad who missed catching the ball was unable to leap two feet into the air and got chewed out for it ... so very wrong on many accounts.

I'm surprised the Umpire did not step in and take any action.

wljmrbill

I hope you can get him reprimanded or dismissed... trouble/problem with sports it seems as well as WAY OVER PAID to perform..too many people starving to death and sleeping under a bridge if they are lucky these days IMHO

musicteach

Musicteach, you did the right thing, imho. That coach should not be addressing kids in that manner ... and what was the difference anyway? Another team member caught the fly ball, which appears to have been the objective at the time.

These coaches think they rule the world and that they can great other like dirt. The lad who missed catching the ball was unable to leap two feet into the air and got chewed out for it ... so very wrong on many accounts.

I'm surprised the Umpire did not step in and take any action.

I hope you can get him reprimanded or dismissed... trouble/problem with sports it seems as well as WAY OVER PAID to perform..too many people starving to death and sleeping under a bridge if they are lucky these days IMHO

You know, there's a couple of things that are just gnawing at my mind. First of all: it's a game, for fun. Now if this were the MLB, it's a horse of a different colour. They're getting paid to win ball games. But even then, some things humans simply cannot do and you can't hold that against them. Is this really the message we want to send to our youth? Secondly it really really bugs me that the kid's dad didn't even bother to say anything. I might be old fashioned here, but I think as fathers we were supposed to defend our children, and teach them how to respect themselves and someone else and teach them to handle things on their own but not be afraid to come to us when they need them. And teach our young men to show respect to young ladies. And our young ladies how to look out for themselves. I do know one thing for sure, though. I'm definitely going to have to be a perfect attendance parent at games!

teddy

Duckmeister
A few years ago I beat the sh*t out of someone who assaulted one of my daughters. It wasn't just for her (although it vastly decreased the chances of it happening to her again) it wasn't just for revenge for me (although I have to admit I throughly enjoyed it) it was also for the others. I believe that they would think twice about doing that sort of thing again to someone else. You should be proud of your action. Pity the kids father did not have your guts. I only advocate violence when all other channels have been exhausted, but unfortunately sometimes it has to be done.

teddy

teddy

stu

MT, you did the correct thing. I was founding member of our local Youth Football Club in 1981. We elected a chairman, but later at one meeting he began to throw his weight about, verbally abusing 'adult' members of the committee and some of the young football team. I approached him on this and he virtually ran away from me. However I informed the committee that I was resigning due to being unwilling to work alongside such an idiot. A week later I received a letter from the committee asking me to return as they had sacked the chairman. I went back and was elected as new chairman. My policy then was that although it would be great to win every game the priority was 'FUN,' before win at all costs. I had a few confrontations with coaches, for the same reasons you did. I forbade any idiotic cursing and screaming at young players. Coach them but don't curse at them. No need for that. My policy was, kids come here at weekends with a smile on their faces - not fear! You acted in the proper manner.

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Hi. Musicteach, You absolutely did the right thing by defending those who are unable at their young ages to defend themselves from an adult authority figure with power over them. I spent some 30 years in law enforcement, and I tried--sometimes unsuccessfully I am ashamed to admit--not to use the f word against people we had to arrest on warrants etc., etc. If grown criminals don't deserve to be subjected to this type of verbal abuse, then most certainly, no child does either.
I say, Good On You! Bullies-- no matter what age they are or where they pop up--must be confronted. Again, nice going.

musicteach

A few years ago I beat the sh*t out of someone who assaulted one of my daughters. It wasn't just for her (although it vastly decreased the chances of it happening to her again) it wasn't just for revenge for me (although I have to admit I throughly enjoyed it) it was also for the others. I believe that they would think twice about doing that sort of thing again to someone else. You should be proud of your action. Pity the kids father did not have your guts. I only advocate violence when all other channels have been exhausted, but unfortunately sometimes it has to be done.

teddy

teddy

See something similar happened for me last year. My daughter was at a party and this guy tried to get touchy feely, and she told him NO. He kept on her, and she did the responsible thing and called me. I showed up with my two dogs and the Sheriff. Told 'em to arrest the kid for assault. He ran, and I told the dogs "Go get 'em boys!" and off they went! Had him treed out back.

MT, you did the correct thing. I was founding member of our local Youth Football Club in 1981. We elected a chairman, but later at one meeting he began to throw his weight about, verbally abusing 'adult' members of the committee and some of the young football team. I approached him on this and he virtually ran away from me. However I informed the committee that I was resigning due to being unwilling to work alongside such an idiot. A week later I received a letter from the committee asking me to return as they had sacked the chairman. I went back and was elected as new chairman. My policy then was that although it would be great to win every game the priority was 'FUN,' before win at all costs. I had a few confrontations with coaches, for the same reasons you did. I forbade any idiotic cursing and screaming at young players. Coach them but don't curse at them. No need for that. My policy was, kids come here at weekends with a smile on their faces - not fear! You acted in the proper manner.

You see, being the band director at a regional HS that has students from a couple of counties and such, I'm very good friends with our Commissioner and a couple of the committee people, such as our very own Head of Athletics. They have a game Tuesday evening, and I've invited both of them to watch. We'll see what happens.

Hi. Musicteach, You absolutely did the right thing by defending those who are unable at their young ages to defend themselves from an adult authority figure with power over them. I spent some 30 years in law enforcement, and I tried--sometimes unsuccessfully I am ashamed to admit--not to use the f word against people we had to arrest on warrants etc., etc. If grown criminals don't deserve to be subjected to this type of verbal abuse, then most certainly, no child does either.
I say, Good On You! Bullies-- no matter what age they are or where they pop up--must be confronted. Again, nice going.

I completely agree. I do not tolerate it, on any level. I work extremely hard to provide a "safe zone" in the music department for students. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care who you date, what colour of your skin is, where you come from, if you're a jock or nerd or a cheerleader or in the band. I don't care if you're the President. If you are in MY department, you are there for the sake of Music! Otherwise, well, you can leave. It's that simple. If you're there to cause trouble, or insult my students, or just waste time... BYE.

Hawk Henries

Well I'll add my 2 cents to this bank of opinion which I agree with! Your actions speak to the type of parent you are, one who loves his children!

musicteach

So I'm not completely insane and way too old school? Shew! I was starting to think the time's be a changin'...

teddy

Duckmeister
I believe that you have already discovered that there are a lot of like minded people here.

teddy